shader copy from one object to another propblems.

VirtualKitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I am having problems copying a 'shader' from one object to another I box selected it in blender 2.93 and the right clicked copied it and pasted it into another object. The result of this shading was not the same on both objects the first object had it BaseColor set by the 'shader' to 'brightContrast' but the second BaseColor was set by a base colour. How do I copy this 'shader' so its the same shader for both objects please?

Object 1

260c9fb3adb7a8152698c581f036a0ba.png

You should also note that it has not deleted existing shader which is causing the problem

Object 2

bed708e54892b0f732954bbb5852b740.png

Hugs D x

Edited by VirtualKitten

Without having a step by step of what you are doing it is difficult to say why copy and pasting in the Shader Editor is not working.

2 hours ago, VirtualKitten said:

How do I copy this 'shader' so its the same shader for both objects please?

There are other methods you can use to copy the material from one object to another.

In the example below we are copying the material that is on the cube to have it also used on the cone object.

Select the cone object and then in the Materials properties > open the Browse materials to be linked drop-down and choose the material/shader that is being used on the cube object.

Now both objects are using the same material. Change a shader option for one it will change for both objects.

1150110709_copymaterial.gif.52a4fe4dacd915be8840448d1cf186fd.gif

I

Edited by Aquila Kytori

If later you need to separate the materials so that changing a material property on one object no longer effects both objects then we need to make it a single user. (Unlink the material)

Select the object to be unlinked and in Material properties >  click on where it displays the number of users for this material.

Unlinking the material :

unlink.gif.99f3172e42740f88b9b3345d376212c5.gif

Edited by Aquila Kytori

Another way  to copy a material from one object to another is to use the Material Special menu.

To copy a material from one object to another but without linking them :

2001376613_matspecials.gif.547520c108438c0a8a19413177e77fb5.gif

This will copy and paste the material but they are not linked. This has has created a new material for the second object. (not linked) Changing a material option on one object will not change it on the second object.

Edited by Aquila Kytori

Using the Materials Specials menu to copy one material to another so that they are linked. Copy from selected to active object:

First select the object that you want to have the material on (this is the Selected object) and then shift select the object that you want to copy from, ( the is the Active object)

Open the Material Specials menu and choose the Copy Material to Selected option. Now both objects share the same material. (linked)

1711235647_matspecialslinked.gif.788df72ef777de27df6edfe1778c49b2.gif

Edited by Aquila Kytori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.