Compiling Firestorm - how to start viewer outside of VS? (dev beginner question)

Arluelle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

after some hurdles I made it to successfully compile Firestorm (with the options.. autobuild configure -c ReleaseFS_open -A 64) and I'm able to run it from within Visual Studio 2017, load textures and all that.

However, what do I need to do to run it outside of Visual Studio? I cannot run it from "build-vc150-64\newview\Release\" because it complains that it's missing configuration files, and if I copy the files from the release folder into a fresh installation of FirestormOS-Releasex64 then Firestorm crashes right after the loading message with the last log entry being:

2022-01-12T17:45:21Z INFO #THREAD# llcommon/llthread.cpp(145) LLThread::threadRun : Started thread imagedecodethread7

I'd be grateful if someone could point me into the right direction!

Edited by Arluelle
  • Like 2

If you are able to run it from Visual Studio and not outside of it, then it might be a path related problem or maybe an environment variables related problem.

I was building Firestorm several months ago and did not have to copy any configuration files. Only difference is that I have used MSVC Build Tools instead of Visual Studio.

Or you can simply do it as panterapolnocy said :) Good luck!

If you are able to run it from Visual Studio and not outside of it, then it might be a path related problem or maybe an environment variables related problem.

I was building Firestorm several months ago and did not have to copy any configuration files. Only difference is that I have used MSVC Build Tools instead of Visual Studio.

Or you can simply do it as panterapolnocy said  :)  Good luck!

On 1/12/2022 at 6:01 PM, Arluelle said:

However, what do I need to do to run it outside of Visual Studio? I cannot run it from "build-vc150-64\newview\Release\" because it complains that it's missing configuration files, and if I copy the files from the release folder into a fresh installation of FirestormOS-Releasex64 then Firestorm crashes right after the loading message with the last log entry being:

You can run it from the Release folder in the build tree once the "package" build step has been run once. That step will create the appropriate copies of the configs/skins etc in the build tree and it will then run. This is especially useful if you want to run the Firestorm-bin.exe which is the unstripped binary and thus useable with the debugger (you can run it standalone then attach the debugger later if you want to inspect something).

I frequently run from the build tree when I am working on a feature/change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your help. I've managed to create an installer and install it. Before running it I'm deleting the UserSettings folder. I've build different versions. With avx, with avx2 and without. Those were my latest 2:

autobuild configure -A 64 -v -c ReleaseFS_open -- --chan FS-Test --package -DLL_TESTS:BOOL=FALSE --fmodstudio --avx2 --clean

autobuild configure -A 64 -v -c ReleaseFS_open -- --chan FS-Test --package -DLL_TESTS:BOOL=FALSE --fmodstudio --clean

I've confirmed this in Help > About. I hear sound, and my latest release says "Firestorm 6.5.2 (65523) Jan 13 2022 19:47:10 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-FS-Test) with OpenSimulator support"

However, I'm running into a weird issue. My FPS seem to go way, way down, compared to the official "Firestorm-Releasex64" release that I had been using daily, (especially) when textures are being loaded. It just stutters slightly as soon as textures load. When there's no textures being loaded at all (they have completed), FPS appear to be fine (but not 100% sure). And it gets weirder, a few times the issue seemed to be gone completely after I had messed around with some graphics settings. However, relogging brought the issue right back. I've made sure that my inventory is fully loaded. I also added Windows Defender exclusions first, then completely disabled it. My computer is very strong, and I see the comparison in front of me. Ultra smooth with the official non OS release, slight constant stuttering with the self build OS release. I've just installed the official OS release, and that one is smooth as well (using the same settings file that my release was using), from the start. So something definitely is off with my version. Any idea what it could be? :( Could it be the difference in the J2C Decoder Version where the official release uses KDU?

Firestorm 6.5.2 (65523) Jan 13 2022 19:47:10 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-FS-Test) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor             (3400 MHz)
Memory: 65450 MB
Concurrency: 32
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1466)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 24576 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 30.0.14.9649
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 496.49

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 2.4.0, Runtime: 2.4.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.05
Dullahan: 1.12.3.202111032221
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 3840x2093 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
Disk cache: Max size 2048.0 MB (26.8% used)
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 0/8.851 (0,0%)
January 14 2022 01:16:03 SLT

Edited by Arluelle

32 minutes ago, Arluelle said:

My FPS seem to go way, way down, compared to the official "Firestorm-Releasex64" release ... (especially) when textures are being loaded.

Any idea what it could be? :( Could it be the difference in the J2C Decoder Version where the official release uses KDU?

I don't know if I will help and I don't remember what J2C or KDU is, but 2 things come on my mind:

1) Texture cache - Check where your newly compiled Firestorm stores the texture cache. If it's a new folder and is empty, it has to download all textures again. Maybe your official release is faster because it has already textures cached?

2) The performance of your build might be lower if you for example build it with debug information, but since you say you have built it as Release, then that should not be the case.

43 minutes ago, Arluelle said:

Memory: 65450 MB

Whoa, very nice :D 

as @tomm55says the primary difference is going to be the use of KDU versus OpenJpeg. KDU remains significantly faster than OJ. The suggestion to check the cache location is very valid and in particular make sure that you have the new cache locations whitelisted in your AV

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.