Very well hidden - now some problems...

Void Singer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

because this forum was hidden behind a link to what I thought was a link to an archive of the old feedback forum, i JUST NOW managed to find this (thankfully floating it still works)...

I appreciate whomevers efforts resulted in the separation of machinima and animation, but there is still some wonky definitions going on in content creation.

building and texturing... they just don't go together, the tool sets and manipulations are largely different with only rare instances where both are needed in combination that require questions about both.

mesh might make more sense with build, since sculpts are already torn between the two, and building often sees mesh topics, but I'd reccomend asking for feedback before joining them.

texturing is a pretty good fit with photography, a moderate fit with art, and a horrible fit with music, it probably shouldn't be combined with the overall category.... it's also a moderate fit with fashion (all clothing layers are textures, and it's a popular topic in texturing), but the overarching nature of the fashion sub forum seems more concerned with styles than the actual technical creation.

scripting is still broken because of css formatting problems with preformatted text boxes which are wrapping (ignoring the built in box scroll) and using variable width fonts... both those things need repaired, and Cerise has posted a very simple fix for both that does not affect other parts of the board interface.

Tech forums basic mode and mono2 should really be folded into viewer and server forums, their traffic is pitifully low, and they fit there perfectly, although I get that those probably came down from on high, someone should really mention this to the higher ups... their focus is too narrow to justify tracking them as separate forums.

Land Forums are still a largely nonsensical mess... regions for sale should be a single category (all homestead regions are marked as such), as should parcels (which are all marked for type) and really there is no such thing as an estate parcel for sale... similarly for sale and wanted belong in the same place to easily facilitate matching of buyers and sellers.

that's all of the top of my head, and any input is appreciated.

that's exactly why I welcome input Qwal, people in content were never really asked and it never really was discussed...

my logical division are based on tools used to create the content type (and the type of questions that tend to arise out of them), but not everyone uses the same logic to make their groupings... if most of the other denizens and creators can come to a consensus, that'd be preferable.

and I'd love to see the format settle, because frankly even the old php boards had more traffic than the current one (Jive's obnoxious idiosyncrasies really set it all back)... the current forums are a good aproximate of the original forums in useability, but it's going to take a bit to recover from the brain drain that the jive forums caused with their mass exodus of experienced and willing residents.

If Texturing didn`t get enough posts to warrant a forum of its own, then personally I think Building is probably the best one for it to be grouped with.

Obviously texturing is relevant to other categories, but for the most part of someone was interested in reading about, learning or posting regarding building, then texturing is a huge element of that topic & being able to read all the posts in one place is probably a good thing.

I think sculpties and they own unique texturing issues also fit well into building & while that is probably also true of mesh, IMO mesh is new and likely to have a high volume of postings and questions while it is being released and tested and deserves its own forum so that the feedback can be easily tracked. Maybe when its a well established part of SL, mesh could also be merged in with building & texturing.

Void Singer wrote:

oddly enough, building and texturing were the most active forums in content after scripting.

Thanks Void, I wasn`t sure of the numbers, so I assumed Texturing got merged because it was one of the low traffic forums like some of the others that got merged. If texturing was holding its own, then yeah I can`t see why it couldn`t have stayed.

My Thanks to whomever took care of the preformatted text problems of non-scrolling and non-fixed width fonts. Many Kudos.

there is one remaining niggling problem, of whitespace being collapsed inside of <span> elements, which are used for code highlighting, I'm not sure why spans should be overriding the pre definition, but they are.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.