Mesh sim update and testing request

Charlar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Uploaded test avatar arm, took multiple tries to get the uploader to work with the same input information. Finally uploaded and worked. When I TP to another sandbox arm is not visible anymore but showing as worn in inventory. Detach and wear again still doesn't show. TP back to original creation sandbox crash. Log back on to original creation sandbox test arm shows, TP to another sandbox, test arm does not show even though showing as worn in my inventory.

Make sure your viewer and the region you are uploading in match up.  We are in the middle of testing a new asset format for models, and the viewer and server need to match up for it to work.  See the first post for where to get the right viewer for the 4 test regions for the new format.

If your viewer is older than version 2.7.3 (ie using old format), the name of the object as it appears in inventory will not be what you type in the upload box necessarily.  That has been fixed I think for the latest versions.  Watch the lower right corner of your screen while the upload is in progress.  There are some small numbers which will flip from 0 to 1 and back to 0, giving progress of the upload.  If those are not changing, the upload is not happening.

NURBS is not supported by Second Life.  That is a useful feature in a 3D modeling program to create curved shapes, but Second Life delivers objects for your graphics card to render as a set of triangles, because all modern graphics cards are very very fast at processing triangles.  Depending on the card, they can have dozens to hundreds of "cores" or "pipelines", each of which can shade (apply texture and lighting) to a triangle in parallel with all the others.

Rendering in a 3D program for architecture or vehicle design is an entirely different situation than a real-time 3D environment.  In the former you can afford minutes to generate a frame.  In SL you have milliseconds, so you have to use the most direct and efficient methods.  That means delivering the data to the graphics card in a ready-to-use format, which is a set of triangles.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

Make sure your viewer and the region you are uploading in match up.  We are in the middle of testing a new asset format for models, and the viewer and server need to match up for it to work.  See the first post for where to get the right viewer for the 4 test regions for the new format.

If your viewer is older than version 2.7.3 (ie using old format), the name of the object as it appears in inventory will not be what you type in the upload box necessarily.  That has been fixed I think for the latest versions.  Watch the lower right corner of your screen while the upload is in progress.  There are some small numbers which will flip from 0 to 1 and back to 0, giving progress of the upload.  If those are not changing, the upload is not happening.

Thanks --  I used the viewer link that you gave me in the SLU thread and went to Sandbox 20 (saw some Lindens there rezzing stuff). So it must be some problem with my mesh.

Changed sims, same result -- no mesh item in inventory.  Here is my info:

Second Life 2.7.3 (232423) Jun  8 2011 19:14:22 (Project Viewer - Mesh)

Release Notes

You are at 205184.0, 178304.0, 24.0 in Mesh Sandbox 28 located at sim7025.aditi.lindenlab.com (216.82.40.142:13001)

Mesh Experimental 11.06.08.232425

Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU           W3520  @ 2.67GHz (2659 MHz)

Memory: 6144 MB

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 Darwin 10.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:17:16 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 OpenGL Engine

Textures are added to imported models the same way as prims.  In the Edit window click the Select Face radio button at the top so you can do it one part at a time.  With prims, the location for each "Face" is pre-defined and never changes.  For models, the area covered by a given texture is determined by the texture ID and UV mapping per triangle.  In SketchUp, it seems to be governed by which textures you apply within SketchUp to each side of the object.  The internal textures do not have to be the same as what you use in SL, but if you apply several, then whichever polygons you used for the first one will be the polygons in SL that get one texture, second one in SketchUp corresponds to another in SL, etc.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

Textures are added to imported models the same way as prims.  In the Edit window click the Select Face radio button at the top so you can do it one part at a time.  With prims, the location for each "Face" is pre-defined and never changes.  For models, the area covered by a given texture is determined by the texture ID and UV mapping per triangle.  In SketchUp, it seems to be governed by which textures you apply within SketchUp to each side of the object.  The internal textures do not have to be the same as what you use in SL, but if you apply several, then whichever polygons you used for the first one will be the polygons in SL that get one texture, second one in SketchUp corresponds to another in SL, etc.

Thanks. Yes I think I have to assign at least one material or I can't apply any texture at all.

That's correct.  If the source model has no texture mapping, then SL does not know where to put textures.  Some 3D programs may assign a default mapping, but apparently SketchUp does not, so you need to make sure in that program you assign textures to every side you want textured.  If for some reason you want some sides to be all white, you can skip those.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.