I can not log in user V2 on a Mac

Dexy Balazic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I posted eariler and got this reply from Peewee Musymari: Quite a few mac users have had problems with the latest updates. Try downloading one of the earlier ones again from https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers and if it works ok, go to preferences > setup and switch off the automatic updates.

This does absolutely noting. I've downloaded but versions under Supported Viewer and neither will even mount. I download, click on SecondLife_2_6_9_231165.dmg for instance, and I get a pop up window Called Second Life Installer. Inside is an alais for my Applications folder and what appears to be a new veiwer (it has the hand icon and is called Second Life Viewer 2) but clicking on it (right clicking, left clicking, double clicking, I've tried everything) does absolutly nothing. It seems like it is trying to open, but fails in less than a second. On the last V2 veiwer I had backed up (that worked flawless since September 2010) there is no "Automatic Updates" button to swich off, so that's no help either. I can instantly get on with Phoenix or RLV, but I prefer V2 and really want it to work again. I'm on an iMac running 10.4.11. I also have a MacBook where V2 works perfectly, this problem is unique to my iMac which has a huge screen and is much better for Second Life. I hope someone can help!

4 answers to this question

Hi Again Dexy,

You can repost on your threads by using Options > Edit instead of starting new ones. Not a great system but we are in the middle of "improvements" at the moment.

Sorry you are having trouble with the downloads, I don`t use Mac so can`t really help on why they are failing to instal. Hopefully Luc will be along to answer that.

If you can get in on Phoenix but prefer V2, have you tried Firestorm?....That is the V2 version of Phoenix.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

The automatic updater is on Viewer 2 in preferences > setup, you won`t find that on Phoenix.

/me waves to Peewee. :D

The download file - the .dmg file - you get when you download viewer 2; is it not the same as you get when downloading Phoenix?

I may misunderstand what you do with the Viewer file (which you are correctly saying is the viewer program), but do you drag it on to the application folder alias next to it? That will copy it to your application folder where it is best place for the program.

I don't really think this is the problem, though. I think perhaps your version of OS X is a bit to old for viewer 2. Version 10.4.11 is two-three years old by now, and I suspect your MacBook has a newer version (10.5.x or 10.6.x)? Phoenix and other TPVs are based on the program code from viewer 1 - which worked fine on the older OS versions - and will work on older OS versions than viewer 2.x based viewers.

The next version of Mac OS X is probably being announced tomorrow, if the rumor mill is correct, and may be available for purchace sometime soon (I might be entirely wrong about this, though....), so if you think of upgrading, it might be worth waiting for the new version. I would not recommend buying or installing it until it is clear it will work with SL, which should not take too long. I'm assuming it will work on Mac a few years old, but I don't know yet. If you can't wait, 10.6 is definitely worth the investment, and I'm almost positive it will let you run v. 2.x on your iMac.

[EDIT] and then I saw the other, solved, post.... Hmmm.... :|

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.