Firestorm jelly doll and texture area

Bronsin Dakota

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The setting is likely only in the viewer's Debug Settings. FS Support people are trained to have you avoid messing with those settings. There is nothing magical about them. They give you access to advanced control of your viewer. But people can mess up anything and I suspect FS peeps don't want to get blamed.

You can open Debug Settings by clicking Advanced in the top menu. Then Show Debug Settings. If you don't have Advanced in your top menu open Preferences->Advanced (left tab)->Show Advanced Menu (checkbox-enable). Or use the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.

Once in the settings panel search on Complexity. This will bring up most of the settings related to AV Complexity. I think you are looking for the setting FSTagShowTooComplexOnl...

Be smart. Backup your viewer's settings. Then note which values you change. If you need to come back to them and undo them, you will be able to. There is a button: Reset to Default.

The FS 6.4.21 changed how this panel works. I think the search is better but overall the panel makes it harder to share info about important settings. We can no longer see the full setting name nor copy it. Grrrr... Nor does the old keyboard shortcut to add/remove Advanced to the top menu work in 21. Sheeee... Not changes that help me.

The max complexity you can set in FS is 350,000. The next step up is Unlimited. Using the Unlimited setting opens you up griefer attacks.

The new v21 changes how FS handles jellydolls. It is now much more efficient and should improve performance.

Any complexity setting other than "unlimited" will cause avatars with over high surface area to be jellied even if their overall complexity is under your defined allowed value.  This is to prevent some known griefer attacks, as most normal avatars will top out at about 200 m2.  If someone is 1000 square meters of surface area that's generally a red flag. 

from the SL wiki : <...> The limit for the total surface area of attachments before switching to solid color rendering. The default (1000 square meters) is intended to protect against deliberate abuse and should rarely be encountered.

That said, there is a helper object that some dancer troupes use that aids in their choreography and this attachment, however it's made, has a huge surface area and triggers the safeguard. I forget the name of the thing, but I've come across it a couple of times at some shopping events, and asked the people about it. and htat's why I know it's a thing :)

I cannot recall off the top of my head if you set the person to render fully if that will un jelly them, or if you have to simply set your complexity allowance to unlimited for a brief time while you are watching the show.

details about the debug settings are at the bottom of this page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Rendering_Complexity

instead of just copying them in, I'd rather link to the page that has all the details and warnings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.