Anyone wanting to start a skin business/training+hiring skin artist/what is the business like?

Nightingalia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!! I've maybe said this too many times but I am a professional digital artist who draws great portraits in RL (yes I know skins are made mostly from photobashing but I can do that too) :D

I've never thought of starting a business in SL since I assumed it would be hella hard (I'm sure some of you are going to agree) BUT I just watched a Speed Skin Creation on youtube and I'm shocked.

Maybe the youtuber did it with clever editing but it looked way easier than I thought! I've learnt basic Blender in college and so I assumed to make a skin you'd have to map the UV thing by hand or something but the youtuber just did it on photoshop 0.0  This is the video in question btw, so I'm hoping if someone with experience can lmk if the video is accurate to the difficulty level of making skins.

With that being said, I still don't know a lot of what the youtuber was doing, how she mapped the texture just through photoshop, how to actually export it into SL, etc. I'm definitely very interested in this business now (and I hope I don't sound naive saying this ><) so if anyone is looking for a skin texture artist and is willing to train me I'd love to work with you! I can send you some of my digital work to prove that I can use photoshop ^_^

https://github.com/eloheliot/another

https://sites.google.com/site/another/resources (sorry, this link dont work anymore, i search for other and post later)

best way to start learning how to do skins in secondlife is to use someone else work :) . you dont need to use blender , each mesh body/ head use or the basic sl uv maps, or some proprietary uv maps, easy to get the dev lit from most head mesh creators . if you are good with photoshop, the links i provided will help. they are old files created long time ago and offered for free by the amazing eloh eliot. old, but the work on the newer ones is basic the same. i am not very active  in world on summer days, but if you can, buzz me and , if i am online, i can tell you more. try the files first.....

Edited by Paladin Tyran
link
  • Thanks 1

Eloh's starlight skin (modified) is actually the skin I use myself. it's quite nice, although now that we have advanced materials, you'll want to tone down the highlights and shadows, as they are a bit over-exaggerated when combined with actual lighting. You can find them via the outworldz download site. (also some other great resources here:)

https://www.outworldz.com/download/

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.