need help

Sailingalong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

that was fast. and i tried clearing my cache, but just as i replied windows finally started trying to fix the problem. hopefullly it fixed it. but just in case ill try what you said.

edit: i just tried going to a different region and it didnt work. i think somethings wrong.

A crash sometimes damages files...especially a system crash (where your operating system crashes and you have to shut down your computer to get out of it).  If the normal "clear cache" doesn't work, then the next step is to go to the cache location on your computer (you can find that by looking at the location on the tab you go to in "Preferences"......in Viewer 2 that is the "Setup" tab) and noting the location.  Close the viewer and navigate to that location on your computer and manually deleting the entire folder......it will not harm your viewer installation.

And, if that doesn't work, the next step is to uninstall the viewer from your computer, do a complete search of your hard drive for anything "SL or Second Life" and manually deleting those files (you will lose any logs so copy them if you want to save them).  Then go to the SL web site (or Third Party site for your viewer of choice) and get a fresh copy.  Save that setup file to your hard drive and get off the Internet................install the viewer.

please note that you should NOT delete the whole folder before moving your chat logs to another location if you care to save them.... otherwise they will be lost.

(I really wish people would stop suggesting that without warning people as logs can contain important information)

The cache folder does not contain any chat logs........there's nothing to copy and save unless you want to possibly save some corrupted file.  You are absolutely correct about saving any chat logs (what I called "logs" in my response) if you manually delete files after an unistallation.............I mentioned it.  Deleting the entire cache folder does not harm the installation since the viewer will rebuild the folder that is missing due to the delete.  You mixed two different processes.

Here is the long answer: I Can’t Login

There is a thing called Ghosted. Because of a timing problem in SL known as the Time Warp, people get logged out. The Lab is working on finding the cause of Time Warp. Crashes and viewer problems can also log one out improperly. The result is the region still thinks you are logged in. Until the region restarts or the region owner kicks the avatar out the ghost causes problems logging in.

In most cases, you can log into a diffferent region and make it in. Then track down your ghost and touch him. He will evaporate and the problem is solved.

Regions typicall restart Tuesday or Wednesday mornings, but not every, just most.

There is a faster way to get logged in than waiting on a trouble ticket or Tuesday restarts. Ghosts take a one minute break every 15 minutes. During that one minute window you can login. The trick is catching the 1 minute window. Read the long answer for details.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.