LI calculations changed over time

Profaitchikenz Haiku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two years ago I made a mesh set of a round table with four chairs which uploaded at 2 LI. Yesterday I was asked could I increase the table size so that somebody could dance on it? Sure, easy, just a  30% increase in overall size. So I did so, shifting the chairs out appropriately. The predicted LI was 11.7. This was a bit more than I was anticipating, from the figures the download cost was causing the most of the increase.

So just as a check I re-uploaded the original Table and chairs DAE file, and used my original LoD setting and triangle counts. What was 2 LI back in 2019 was now 6.2 LI in 2021, and again it was a large increase in the download cost.

Somehow I must have missed the announcements that LI accounting was changing significantly (I would accept 10-20% change as just progress but a threefold increase suggests this was a desperate measure?)

I can see this is going to result in some of the older mesh items on the marketplace becoming more desirable @)

These tests were carried out on Aditi with Singularity 8382 and the latest SecondLife Viewer.

ETA

Unexpected: I suggested they simply enlarge the existing mesh item to get the table diameter to the required size, and hope that the chairs didn't also scale up too much. They replied that once the X and Y of the mesh item had been increased by enough, the LI had gone from 2 to 4.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

18 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

There hasn't been any changes to the LI calculation. Your observations must be caused by something else.

I'm sure you're right, the question is, what is the something else ?

The DAE file hasn't changed since I first uploaded the mesh.

The viewers have changed since I first uploaded the mesh.

The server software has changed since I first uploaded the mesh.

The hardware has changed since I first uploaded the mesh.

There's three possible candidates, so how to proceed?

8 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

There's three possible candidates, so how to proceed?

Most likely none of these actually.

Candidates for download weight are tri count across all LODs, and size. If you don't provide custom LOD files, and just dial in some numbers for the LODs during upload, the importer will generate something slightly different each time. So I suspect the actual numbers for the lowest LOD(s) don't match the original upload, and/or the dimensions of the mesh aren't the same.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Thanks 1

I have the actual numbers for the three levels plus the physics type I used all recorded in both my diary and in the description field of the first uploaded items. The dimensions of the mesh will be as given in the DAE, which hasn't altered since first saved to my hard drive.

Just going one step further to try and narrow down my three possibilities, I uploaded the mesh to a standalone (Diva 0.9.1.1.0) and got the same figures I got in SecondLife today. I was obviously only able to do this with Singularity, not the LL viewer, but as SL's code is kept to themselves I think therefore I have eliminated both server and hardware, leaving just whatever the viewer does when it performs the pre-upload checking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.