Animated Particle Texture, is that a thing ?

chrixbed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I found that old footage about a proposal to add animated texture (gif?) feature for particles. A Jira was proposed about it and it's seem to has been release but I'm not sure... Is there anyone knows more about that feature and if there is an actual possible way to use or create the effect of animated texture or gif in a llParticleSystem() ?

Note: I know llSetTextureAnim() but I don't think is possible to mix those, right ?

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, chrixbed said:

I found that old footage about a proposal to add animated texture (gif?) feature for particles. A Jira was proposed about it and it's seem to has been release but I'm not sure... Is there anyone knows more about that feature and if there is an actual possible way to use or create the effect of animated texture or gif in a llParticleSystem() ?

Note: I know llSetTextureAnim() but I don't think is possible to mix those, right ?

Nope, such a feature has not been released nor do I see linden labs releasing something like this, only way for particles to change, is by uploading the other frames of the gif as separate textures then inputting multiple uuid's and have the script alternate between them (which could cause lag). Also, this topic doesn't belong in "LSL library"

1 hour ago, Ghost Warblood said:

Nope, such a feature has not been released nor do I see linden labs releasing something like this, only way for particles to change, is by uploading the other frames of the gif as separate textures then inputting multiple uuid's and have the script alternate between them (which could cause lag). Also, this topic doesn't belong in "LSL library"

That sad, it will has been a nice feature but I appreciate you take the time to answer.

Note: I'm sorry that I post a unrelated content, I should have post that in LSL Scripting. 

Thank you Ghost Warblood!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Surprisingly, you can see the parcel media stream on particles, which ~almost counts as an animated texture on a particle, but it's more of a party trick than something useful.

This party trick blows my mind. Is there any apparent performance impact over regular particles? I assume not.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Is there any apparent performance impact over regular particles? I assume not.

Not obviously apparent, If anything it might be more efficient than "regular particles" due to not having an alpha channel.

427277014_particlefountain.png.eaf6d994d6340a9cfe310bee5a095a44.png

A particle waterfall of a waterfall video (Stock video by Videezy.com)

I might leave it up for a bit for anyone who cares to check it out and doesn't have easy access to land settings. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Girotte/127/131/3501 results may or may not vary by viewer/OS/gfx card/wine configuration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.