Missing level of detail,

Alma Palmira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm using Blender 2.9. I'm self taught. I've been using Blender for years but I am far from knowing exactly what I'm doing. Generally I dive in, learn a few things, get frustrated, and give up on it for a few months. This LOD (or normals?) problem I'm about to describe is very common for me. Im sure it is something that Im doing to cause it, but have no idea what "it" is or how to fix it. 

So... the problem. In this example I've created a tower head. I have backside culling turned on and it looks fine. However, when I export as a DAE the windows (a separate piece) turns black. when you zoom in it looks like a normals problem, but the outside faces are facing correctly (overlay>display normals) and even after recalculating outsides, it stays the same. On a whim I tried importing into SL and received the dreaded missing level of detail warning. I've tried cleaning up the mesh, creating a new mesh all with the same results.I build this piece using a cylinder where Ive cut it in half, then extruded the base. Ive even tried recreating the window (without the cut-out hole) to keep things simple and the problem still shows. Im at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186622453@N07/50781297087/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186622453@N07/50780427928/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186622453@N07/50780452708/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186622453@N07/50781217506/in/dateposted-public/

20 hours ago, Alma Palmira said:

I'm using Blender 2.9. I'm self taught.

Couple of issues here.

1. The model has negative scaling on the Z axis.
In object mode hit Ctrl + A > Rotation & Scale. Due to the negative scaling, the face normals will turn inside.
Edit mode > select all faces > Ctrl+Shift+N > uncheck Inside.

2. When exporting check Selection Only in the collada export dialog. Otherwise it will export all that other stuff in the scene as well, like cameras and lights etc.

3. Happy new year Aquila! 🥂

Happy new year to you too Alma! 🍸

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well thats sorted then :)

Just to note that when I tried uploading an object with negative scaling  the Uploader gave the error  "Missing required level of detail" and "Dae parsing error - see log for details"

Cube_negative_scale-min.thumb.png.31adaff3356abee20f9114f4a73806ee.png

Uploader_errors-min.thumb.png.1497662771ead1978901d827d8ea6206.png

Annoyingly, the Uploader now has a Log tab but it was empty !

Uploader_Log-min.thumb.png.c119144b86df8313a8df0a1467025016.png

So had to rummage around my harddrive to find the log:

2021-01-01T11:01:55Z INFO # llprimitive/lldaeloader.cpp(2035) LLDAELoader::processElement : Negative scale detected, unsupported transform.  domInstance_geometry: Cube
2021-01-01T11:01:55Z INFO # llprimitive/lldaeloader.cpp(2058) LLDAELoader::processElement : Negative scale detected, unsupported post-normalization transform.  domInstance_geometry: Cube
2021-01-01T11:01:55Z INFO # llprimitive/lldaeloader.cpp(1104) LLDAELoader::OpenFile : Scene could not be parsed
2021-01-01T11:01:55Z WARNING # newview/llfloatermodelpreview.cpp(1913) LLFloaterModelPreview::onPermissionsReceived : Upload permission set to true but uploadModelUrl is empty!

Common LL you can do better than this, or is that new Log tab supposed to log some other type of information ?

TY  @arton Rotaru and I wish you and all other readers of the SL forums a       Happy New year.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.