Sailing "body" Animation Issue's After Crossings

Vicious Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

Well, now you know what I do. But how many of you are there? Are these forums worth bothering with, or is it just futile shouting into the wind?

The issue we 'boat people' have worked around - I'm not going to call it a fix - is that we try to teach scripts that are vulnerable to the occasional unwarranted link change event on region crossings to ignore them respective sleeping over them if they come up within, say, 0.5 seconds after a region change event. I have yet to see a single LEGITIMATE case of a link change event triggered by a region change. It could of course happen if

- a sitter chooses the very moment of the crossing to actually stand up, really tough luck

- the region figures out that the avatar in question really got lost in transit

The latter traditionally happened a lot in the old days and in those corner crossing cases when your vehicle manages to leave into the next transit before your avi finished the first. That's the famous unsit and @animats suggested vehicle side workarounds of stopping the vehicle after a crossing and only continue once the avatar shows up. But you'd be surprised how far a vehicle an go before its scripts get back into a state to figure out what happened. So he's absolutely right in calling LL for a serverside fix of sorts. Oh, and funny enough, usually those unseats won't even trigger a link change for the vehicle, which for years has been not necessarily the nicest behaviour but at least it's been what would be called "expected behaviour,  JIRA closed". Transit processing has never been completely aware of the full "vehicle plus passengers" state, which would probably be a requirement for crossings to be 'totally' reliable serverside.

I for one would already be happy if those stray link change messages would go away once LL gets a chance to tie up all the loose ends we have everywhere. We may be able to patch up some vehicles when they use open source scripts that cause their vulnerabilitiy. Namely AVsitter 1, which is often used for boats to provide seatings that go beyond a single avi car driving pose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LoganPryor said:

This particular forum is the Server one, so scripting people may not read it. I've never written or modded vehicle scripts, so just following this thread out of interest. You may get better luck (and I stress "may") in the Scripting forum.

I've recognised some of the names in this thread from the Scripting forum. I check there regularly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.