Suggestion - old / no mod items and high scripts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As we all know the last few months have been all about scripts. Changes in lsl to allow child prim control.. all the talk of avatar script limits being introduced. We all know lowering script usage makes for a better and smoother sl.

But, what to do about all the old items we love that are no mod and full of resizers or scripts we simply don't use?

My suggestion is for LL to change the allowances for no mod items. Allow us to remove scripts from them. I mean, thats not a mod really is it? It's not going to threaten the rights of the creator. It can only be a good thing because we would be able to reduce server load.

Opinions? Is it a good idea, or have I missed something?

Well as far as i know Kerry (without going into sl to test it out thoroughly) most resize scripts have a "delete" option and if not you can allways go into edit and delete from contents yourself. 

But then i too may have missed something in which case i'm pretty sure i'll  soon be corrected ;)

Yes, a lot of them do. But it's older items i'm mostly focussing on.

Older resize scripts do not have a delete option, and when there's 100 or so of them this can be a real pain. Also, creators in the past haven't been worried about script usage and/or haven't had the options we have nowadays so they used very high amounts in their builds. When such items are no mod this renders them unusable in todays environment.

I agree with the basic problem: (old) items with hundreds of size-scripts are simply 'out-of-date' from the technological point of view. Today we have smarter options to do the resizing with just one script.

But I can't agree with the solution to allow deleting scripts from no-mod items, sadly. Just one example: A creator who offers demos of her/his products. The demo might be no-mod and including a script that disables the items after the demo-period. Allowing to remove scripts from such demos would break content.

auto disable demos are quite easy to do securely without resorting to an extra script... the code for doing it is trivial and publicly available.

The option to delete contents from no mod items actually already exists, but is bugged in certain cases (there is a jira for this and it's ancient and filled with lots of political bs), however if the scripts (or any other contents) are no-copy you can still move them to your inventory to remove them from the object. they will likely be non-functional in another object, and perfectly safe to delete from your inventory (you will not be able to put them back in that objects contents if it is no-mod)

Yes, I've done that by mistake before.. accidentally dragged the script out of a no copy object.

However, most attachments (shoes, clothing prims,etc) are copy so that idea doesn't help..

It just seems sad that all these creations are becoming useless.. if only we could zap the resize and menu scripts from them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.