Mesh Scenes imports

Naiman Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I would like ot ask if it will be possible , and if so how and if how , how much will cost,

Creating a whole scene , let's say a Huge building with all its details , like archs , doors , windows , frames, interiors , decorations , lights etc.... in 3d application then exporting this into SL

Or would require a insane weird amount of uploads of single objects that will just breack the scene and cause a lot of time waste when reassembling parts in SL?

Unless thimgs have changed, it is possible to upload multiple separate mesh models in a single upload session. Thy appear in inventory as a coalesced object, not a linkset. That means they should rez with the correct relative transformations, but then they are independent objects. Personally, I haven't done any of this since very early on in the beta.

There is a maximum complexity limit of 64K.  I am not sure if that is per object or per upload.  There is also a maximum size limit of 64m, also not sure if that is per object or per upload.  It should be easy enough to test, though.  If you have more than one object in the upload, they do arrive in the correct positions to each other. 

• Lindens

When we release the new asset format we're also working on revising the upload pipeline so that all of the mesh "pieces" you're uploading get sent up at the same time. It should definitely be possible to upload a bunch of pieces at the same time. The cap on vertices is on a per-mesh-asset basis. As the upload pipeline can generate multiple assets, you just need to worry about the complexity of each piece for this limitation.

The advantage of the new pipeline is that the upload should be atomic - either the entire thing will succeed or you won't be charged.

"The advantage of the new pipeline is that the upload should be atomic - either the entire thing will succeed or you won't be charged."

That's good news. Will that include a test that the mesh is rezzable? It has sometimes been possible to get through the upload but tghen be told that the mesh is invalid when you try to rez it. (Haven't seen that for some time though.)

"That's good news. Will that include a test that the mesh is rezzable? It has sometimes been possible to get through the upload but tghen be told that the mesh is invalid when you try to rez it. (Haven't seen that for some time though.)"

It still happened in the version I used 2 to 3 weeks ago. I'll have to download the latest one to see if that has changed.

Thankyou but I still didn't understand one thing about the size ... let's say my building is as wide and biig as one sim like 64 m , and I was wise enough to make the ppieces that compose it at maximum 64 m size , what would happen? woudl my building be shrienked to a 64 m whole or instead keep the maximum size but with the meshes that compose it at 64 as max? so if my building in few words is bigger than 64 , but the siingle meshes are pair or under 64 m , will the proportions and size be respected on upload?

We used to be able to upload objects bigger than 64m which then behaved like megaprims ... snapped back to 64m if you stretched them or touched the size spinners. That is now excluded in the latest viewers* where (a) you cannot set scale to make a dimension greater than 64m and (b) if you upload something bigger than 64m it will be scaled down to 64m before you can upload. Furthermore, we no longer have access to the mesh geometry asset and therefore cannot drop it into an existing megaprim.

So it would appear that individual mesh objects with any dimension exceeding 64m are now impossible. If you upload multiple objects in a single collada file, each of the components is subject to this restriction independently. The coalesced collection of objects can therefore exceed 64m.

All this may stll change again. The problem with multiple object upload, at least for now, is that you can't use decomposed physics shapes.

*tested with 231074

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.