Catching HUD Detach from Pie Menu?

GManB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am creating a game HUD. I need to make some updates to the players data structure in the main script. Is there a way to either catch a detach event when the user selects 'Detach' from the Pie menu for the HUD, or to disable the Detach from the Pie menu for this HUD and provide an 'X' on the HUD to detach? I would greatly prefer the former.

Thanks,

G

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

No, there really isn't.  I have often provided either an X or a Detach button (or a dialog button) as attractive alternatives to detaching from the UI or from the user's inventory, but there's no way to override those standard options.

Ok, thanks. I think I ran into something similar trying to catch an event from the Pie menu. :(

G

I believe the attach even fires on detach. id will equal NULL_KEY. The problem is, the script is only given a small amount of time after detach to execute code. So if there is a lot of work to do, you might be better to fire off a message to some other object on the region to do the work.

One annoying thing I ran into when doing this is the key of the source object (the one being detached) is no longer valid, so a receiver can't verify who sent the message with llGetOwnerKey(). The message itself needs to carry the owner info.

You aren't guaranteed to get time, and if you use this feature, take into account that you should use this in your attach handler to properly detect a detach, and not code continuing to execute from the previous detach.

if (id == NULL_KEY && llGetAttached() == 0) { safe to run detach code }

Edited by Phate Shepherd
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

I usually get to process two or three lines of simple code in the attach event when an object is detached. But be aware that any unprocessed code will resume where it left off when the object is reattached.

Thanks,
G

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.