A little help with blender

Inguza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone !!!
Im new here and i have some questions about creating objects.
I have already made tons of plants/animals with blender for others free games and now i want to use some of them here, but i have not understand some things in the tutorials. (anyway is my first time exporting to .dae)
First, i want to upload some of my plants but i dont know if there are some kind of limit for vertex or how can i make them move with the wind (the other game use a fx_wind vertex group but i dont know if it works here).
Second, i want to know if i can upload object with parts which uses diferent textures.
Also i want to know how can i acces to Aditi because i haven't find anything like a request for that in "submit a ticket".

Here is the first plant i want to try: Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria Araucana)
gkLX1He.png

Edited by Inguza

See: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

• 65536 vertices per LOD for each mesh
  • 8 materials (faces) per mesh - each face can have a diffuse, normal, and specular map.
  • Maximum mesh asset size after compression is 8 MB, roughly equivalent to a 256 MB Raw COLLADA file

We don't have a way to conveniently animate tree sway (as far as I know, I haven't tried). To do it, you'd need to give the tree an entire skeleton, rig it to that, and animate that skeleton. It would be quiet overkill and impractical, because all objects have "land impact" which is a limited resource on how much "stuff" you can put on the land.

1 hour ago, Inguza said:

First, i want to upload some of my plants but i dont know if there are some kind of limit for vertex

As Wulfie said, the theoretical limit is 65,536 vertices but you're likely to run into problems long before  But a tree like the one in the picture shouldn't have more than 1000 vertices anyway and even that may be a bit high. I would have used somewhere between 300 and 500 vertices for something like this.

1 hour ago, Inguza said:

or how can i make them move with the wind (the other game use a fx_wind vertex group but i dont know if it works here).

You can simulate a little bit of wind in the foliage with texture animation. But don't overdo it. A little bit of movement can look good but if you add too much, it looks meachanical and unnatural.

A swaying trunk needs to be done as animesh though and that makes it a lot more complicated - and also increases the land impact a lot. As static mesh, a tree like this should be no more than 2 LI, as animesh, expect at least 30.

1 hour ago, Inguza said:

Second, i want to know if i can upload object with parts which uses diferent textures.

Up to eight faces (that's what we call materials in SL) for each mesh. I would reccomend you upload the trunk and canopy as separate meshes though because they need different LOD handling.

1 hour ago, Inguza said:

Also i want to know how can i acces to Aditi because i haven't find anything like a request for that in "submit a ticket".

Just select the closest category you can find and leave it to LL to sort it out,

A few other points to keep in mind:

• Make sure all LOD models look good. Trees need to be seen from a long distance.
  • Use alpha masking, not alpha blending for the canopy texture.
  • Try to keep the texture resolution down. The canopy texture shouldn't be higher resolution that 512x512. For the trunk, try 512x1024. Or even better, see if you can do with a vertically tiled 512x512.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.