Help-Invisible Barrier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My house in made mostly of prims with a few meshed and sculpted prims. Recently, an invisible barrier to avatar movement has appeared in one area. It remains invisible when transparent objects are highlight, and I can see no clues in  wireframe view or when bounding boxes are made visible. When all rendering types except avatar are turned off, the barrier is still there. It seems to be a one-way barrier; avatars are stopped when they try to walk through in one direction, but if they teleport past it, they can walk back in the other direction.

Any suggestions about how to deal with this problem will be very much appreciated.

First, turn on physics shapes (in the same area where you turned on wireframe and bounding boxes) and look for a blue or green shape where you would not expect it.

Assuming there is still no obvious block, edit the house and raise each child prim up a set amount on the Z axis, say 10 metres, until you are able to walk through without hindrance. The prim you just lifted will be the problem one. There are a lot of possible causes,. from a mesh item with poor physics to a path-cut mega-prim, but this is the only way I know to track down the problem when there is nothing visible in the physics.

Start with the obvious ones in the vicinity of the problem and expand outwards.

When identified, you might be able to cure the problem by setting the particular child physics to none.

Once you're done, edit the house and lower each child prim by the same amount you raised them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found the problem using the method recommended above, and I thought my posting about it might help someone else.

There was a large prim cube that was hollow and had been path cut so it formed a U shape. It was used for three walls. The barrier was located in the area between the two sides of the U. The physics shape type had originally been prim, but had been changed to convex hull. When I changed it back to prim, the barrier disappeared. I did not make the detailed observations that would be needed to prove it, but I suspect that the two surfaces that resulted from the path cuts formed the barrier.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.