Help-Disappearing Prim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A part of the floor in my house often disappears for a few seconds and then reappears. When this happens, avatars fall to the ground. It is a part of a linkset of seven prims, all of which are convex hull, none of which is phantom, and none of which contains any scripts. The linkset is locked except while  being worked on.

Does anyone know what could cause this problem or how to solve it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
grammar

9 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Does anyone know what could cause this problem or how to solve it.

I can only think of two possible explanations and since it's safe to assume you don't use a temp rezzer for something like this, only one plausible. This has to be a server error. Have you tried restarting the region?

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The creator blamed an SL bug.

It's not neccessarily a bug, it may also be an overloaded sim. But in either case, prims are not supposed to flip between phantom and solid all on their own and the viewer is not involved in physics handling at all. So it has to be something wrong with the server.

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It's not neccessarily a bug, it may also be an overloaded sim. But in either case, prims are not supposed to flip between phantom and solid all on their own and the viewer is not involved in physics handling at all. So it has to be something wrong with the server.

In my case, the creator acknowledged it happened for others, and my sim was not overloaded (noting this was many years ago). Build by Donk Kongo.

• 2 weeks later...

It turned out that the prim wasn't really disappearing. It was part of a linkset of large prims that formed floors and walls. As it happened, the walls in the area where the floor appeared to disappear were not part of that linkset. One of the prims in the linkset had a swinging door script that responded to a touch by turning the linkset 90 degrees. What was happening was that errant clicks were causing the linkset to rotate 90 degress, but that wasn't obvious because when it was rotated, it was not visible to an avatar standing one the floor that seemed to disappear, as it was well outside the building. I don't know how i managed to put that script in that prim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.