Nvidia and SecondLife not playing nicely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I currently have two Nvidia GTX480's in SLi in my machine. For some reason it constantly crashes stating the driver stopped responding and has restarted, however SL has shut. I have tried everything from adding TDRdisplay with a timer of 10 to the registry, rolling back the cards to the earliest version possible from nVidia's website, to using a GTX260. I just reformatted the unit and done a clean install of everything. I have yet to try anything since the install as I am working on another computer of mine. Does anyone by chance have any experience with this or even just a suggestion to remedy this problem? The machine is more than SL could ever ask for and I would love to be able to enjoy the game again without it crashing roughly every 30 minutes or so.

Driver crash can mean a lot of things - SL doesn't use SLI, so dual GPU is a waste of time for SL. The vid linked by jjccc is the best proof of that. Even though it's using outdated, ancient shadow code it's still got atrocious FPS.

First thing to check is temperature. SL has a nice tendency to fry GPUs :)

Hello TinyTim. It is rare here to read that someone has problems with Nvidia Graphics card, especially when they are included in recommended ones like yours (series GTX / sure it would be better to have the GTX 275 or 295). My computer wears nvidia GT 240 and my laptop a GT 520M and both run without any problem even i have my graphics quality to Ultra. Maybe you crash for another reason and no because of your nvidia?

I'm using a GTS 450 Nividia card and ever since the last 2 driver updates, everything has been wonky. I can't even watch video on this card, and it's the best card I have. The only thing I have not tried yet is playing with all the settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I'm having similar problems with the Nvidia GTX 285.  As with you, I have more machine than SL could possibly need but with both Viewer 2 and Phoenix, I get that same message - that the display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.  But the SL window is black and stops responding.  This is within minutes of logging on so I can't use SL at all.  I've got the latest drivers and the latest versions of the viewers.  (Prior to upgrading to latest viewer versions, SL crashed about every 30 minutes or so.)  I've backed down the graphics settings in SL, made sure all Windows updates have been made, etc.  I've also had problems with SL repeatedly crashing in the past using Nvidia 8000 and 9000 series cards.  This has been the case with multiple pcs, different operating systems, etc.  I've seen Nvidia forum posts that indicate the "black screen" issue happens with other gaming software such as WOW.  Tending to think it's inherent to Nvidia but I'll have to say that I had an ATI card that crashed repeatedly with SL as well.  Maybe the problem is inherent to SL viewers.  Wish I could find the root cause so I hope you get a good answer to your question.  It's extremely frustrating.

Everyone I've talked to that has tried to run SL with SLI or crossfire enabled had nothing but problems from it. There one person here on the forums who says they got SLI working with SL, bu I don't remember the name offhand....

everyone else, after disabling it for SL saw an end to most if not all their glitches and increased performance..... I don't know why, or what SL is doing that causes it to behave so poorly with these setups, but I do know that it is happening.

I'm using dual 580 GTX's in non-Sli on 275-series forceware beta drivers, along with another machine using a single 480 GTX with WHQL-certified 270-series drivers and I can confirm there is some kind of weirdness going on.

About a week ago, everything was running fine.

Actually, in my 5 years in SL since 2006, it probably the worst login and avatar loading performance I've seen.

LL needs to slow down on the Viewer dev and make sure major compatibiliy faults don't find themselves creeping into the main viewer.

I also have an 6870-based AMD Radeon machine on 11.5 Catalysts and using the latest snowstorm DEV viewer crashes the entire AMD-ATi computer as soon as I turn on Depth of Field.

Haven't been able to reliably log on the Second Life for several days. I'll clear cache, it might work for a second login, but then until 3rd login I'll start as a cloud with my L$Balance locked at $20L. Inventory is viewable but not loadable and parts of the simulator fail to load full prims.

Also getting messages from Linden saying there is degraded region performance. I've never experienced SL quite as unstable as this...???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.