Clipping and how exactly to fix it

EdieDim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, 

I am new to making mesh, I started two weeks ago, so I apologize if my question is naive. Taking the problem by its tail: my clothing looks good in blender, well not good as I'm only testing how things work for now but it is rigged and moving along, no clipping after weight painting and testing the bone motions. But in second life, it clips where it didn't before. My question is "what exactly is the process of figuring out what will clip" when it isn't showing in blender, and then what tools are available apart from blurring and adding and taking away some weight? How do you do it?

And to reverse the problem and possibly take it in the correct order, am I missing something in the previous steps?

I have noticed that marvelous absolutely insists on giving me triangles for the backs of dresses, shirts, everything when it is set to quads and the front is very nice quads. Is that part of it?

What else might I be missing?

I'll be grateful for any help at all.....

It also depends on what body you are putting the clothing on. If it's a mesh body, with the system body completely alpha'd, and you are copying weights from teh mesh body to your clothing, then you have a shot at getting it to fit without clipping. If you put the mesh clothing over a system body and use the Appearance sliders to adjust body parts, then it's less likely to match - the system body uses morphs to change size and attached mesh uses vertex weights. You'll usually need alpha textures on the body to hide the bits that clip.  

4 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

• Are you using avastar?
  • Is it rigged to the volume/fitmesh bones?
  • Have you tried with a different shape?

How proficient are you at modeling withing Blender?

Thank you for your reply! To answer your questions: I use avastar, I rig the clothes to the mesh body weights. The shape isn't really the issue, the clothes do fit in SL and they are clearly rigged if a little badly, they just clip between the legs a little when walking for instance, or at the belly (but I had a revelation last night before going to bed: maybe skirts need to take their weight from the waist more so than from the pelvis?)

I am very new at this as I said. I haven't tried modeling clothing within blender, but I've followed enough tutorials that I'm not lost with the interface and I've made..... things. I'm not very good at that yet. If blender tells me to fix mah darn mesh because it can't tell what it is, I can now do it though!

I'd really love to see someone weight painting and fixing issues in video form, is there such a tutorial because I haven't found it....

1 hour ago, EdieDim said:

I am very new at this as I said. I haven't tried modeling clothing within blender, but I've followed enough tutorials that I'm not lost with the interface and I've made..... things.

My recommendation then would be to leave MD aside and to first learn how to produce meshs that work well with rigging within Blender, before attempting to incorporate MD into your workflow.

45 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

My recommendation then would be to leave MD aside and to first learn how to produce meshs that work well with rigging within Blender, before attempting to incorporate MD into your workflow.

Why? Are you saying MD mesh is not very compatible with blender? 

51 minutes ago, EdieDim said:

Why? Are you saying MD mesh is not very compatible with blender? 

No but MD is more of an "intermediary" design tool. What it produces is more suitable for highpoly still renders, and as a normal mapping source model.

Models out of MD typically have to be re-modeled to get a topology more suitable for realtime rendering and animation (simpler, and with joints taken in account).

MD is more of a design and draping tool, it will not teach you how to make 3D models.

MD-example.png.b2afbd7e261092a8f522f1c1299ce49a.png

To support my example, this is an outfit I made a while ago with MD, yes the geometry could be worse, but it only cares about the structure of the fabric "panels" that compose it and completely ignores the outfit as a whole. It's also full of unimportant backfaces and seams that don't even need to be modeled.

And yes, I could have used a much lower density, but density is only one of the problems really, beside, I used this as my normal map source, so why not keep all that draping.

wip32.png.59be1a235ff30a598f55f4b7e4385079.pngwip59.png.6225586246d44f249be2039469324da7.png

This was mid-way during re-meshing, now, with the exception of a handful of areas, this is much cleaner, much easier to animate, and the edges flow nicely so the lighting should be fairly smooth.

wip72.png.c6d6a282ab1b1ed1e524844c294fc0ca.pngwip76.png.cff9cc8f37a4f942b66c031f112980d7.png

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
Added pictures
  • Like 1

Ok, but I figured that out already which is why my model is a test model right now, straight, plain, really without any draping or folds to speak of, square skirt, square top. I'm pretty sure I could still reduce the number of polygons, but I spend like 5 minutes in MD just stitching up the simplest thing ever. This is what it looks like;

https://gyazo.com/415bbce5ad7183efcfeaad7112e2dcec  https://gyazo.com/53f546301cecf729db65e6422c7e77a9

It follows fine when I cross my legs. But if I do it in world, it clips on the legs and the left shoulder..... and no matter what I do, it never gets better.

https://gyazo.com/299a813b0c61534dc3ccb1264b3b9692

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.