Faces separate but stretched

MelodicRain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I uploaded some simple shapes from Blender but for some reason the faces are all stretched like this, making them unusable unless I manually unstretch them by increasing x/y and playing with offsets:

image.png.3fe5c466cc26770d0a96d42245a4fde6.png

Each face is still separate if I select it:

image.png.68ecd82a1532d4218b1a064412861b6b.png

Anyone know what in the world is going on here? Why are the faces not centered on each side and stretched like this? I assigned each face to a different material in Blender, then unwrapped it with basic UV unwrap. is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Edited by MelodicRain

24 minutes ago, MelodicRain said:

Anyone know what in the world is going on here? Why are the faces not centered on each side and stretched like this? I assigned each face to a different material in Blender, is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Yes, you need to properly UV unwrap the faces in a way that works for you. The default Blender cube is unwrapped like this:

d9adb283ee.png

What you want is more like this:

34534318dd.png

Each face fills the entire UV-space. The overlapping is not an issue because each face has its own material.

The least fiddly way to do this is to just select each face of the cube individually, press U (default), and select "Unwrap."

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Wow blender is dumb, yeah I did unwrap it, but I selected all faces and clicked "unwrap", instead of selecting each individual face and unwrap one at a time, and apparently that didn't work... For the cube it's not an issue, but I have a sphere with like 1000+ faces, separated into 4 materials. If I select all the faces for one material, how do I make this quarter-sphere fill one UV map? Cause if I just reset UV for all faces of a material it'll end up looking like this:

image.png.9920e1885b13d3970f9820ca19648c4e.png

Edited by MelodicRain

59 minutes ago, MelodicRain said:

Wow blender is dumb, yeah I did unwrap it, but I selected all faces and clicked "unwrap", instead of selecting each individual face and unwrap one at a time, and apparently that didn't work... Is  there any way to do it with all faces? Cause doing it individually for all ~1000+ faces on my sphere is probably not going to happen...

It's not dumb. What you want is a special case, there's rarely a need/want for every face to have the exact same layout compared to something more human-readable.

That said, what I suggested isn't even the best way, it turns out you can just press U and "Reset." This will make every individual face fill the UV space.

93f3393035.png

7f51b3180b.png

And that said, if your sphere has around 1000+ faces, you might want to consider simplifying it. The SL sphere has only 12 rings and 24 segments, or 288 faces and 528 tris.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.