Some thoughts on Version 2.6.3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I will say upfront that I've never been a fan of Viewer 2. I do like that they've been addressing concerns, but there are still enough missing pieces that I cannot use it as my primary viewer. Here are some issues I'd like to see addressed (or if I'm wrong about something, I'd like to know that too! :)  In no particular order, and subject to later edits:

* .wl files that are so useful in Phoenix to share windlight settings - are just xml notecards in viewer 2.

* Persistent windlight settings on reboot

* And is it really that hard to put an advanced sky settings button in the World/Environment submenu?

* I keep hoping for a "light" interface - not simpler, just with lighter colors. Black is hip but it's also visually ponderous

* inventory loading seems to take a very long time

* RLV support, or something like it - there are HUDs out there that let me manage my wardrobe that require RLV. It's not all about whips and chains.

* Alias text is dark gray on a black backround. Seriously? I don't want to be too mean, but this is not good design, a very amateur mistake. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of Viewer 2: amateur UI design mistakes.

* 100% Showstopper: Phoenix has the option to leave your eyes fixed on a point. For a photographer, that's required. Until V2 offers that, I will only use it to see what's new - not to actually use.

* Also look at the sky and settings shortcuts on the bottom right of the Phoenix interface. They got it right.

On the other hand, I do really like that you're making it easier all the time to handle wardrobe. Multiple attachment points, new layers, full-body physics, all of it good, and thank you for making the sidebar un-modular, what a great improvement.

While we're talking about making Inventory easier & more fun to use, how about adding another Phoenix feature. Let people narrow the scope of Inventory searches by the type of item they're looking for - eg objects, clothing layers, landmarks, or notecards. Also give them a "Worn" tab on the top, so the don't have to type "worn" into the inventory search bar window to see what they're wearing.

Hi Corinne.

Good to see someone expressing well-written concerns. I've only cherry-picked some points, though I agree with some and can't reproduce others.

>> * .wl files that are so useful in Phoenix to share windlight settings - are just xml notecards in viewer 2.

I've got no idea how Phoenix does the .wl files, but v2 had .wl settings for a long time... my guess is that the assets aren't compatible. I've even got a box full of them.

>> * I keep hoping for a "light" interface - not simpler, just with lighter colors. Black is hip but it's also visually ponderous

Try Hitomis' skins for v2. They're light and quite pleasant, IMO.

>> * RLV support, or something like it - there are HUDs out there that let me manage my wardrobe that require RLV. It's not all about whips and chains.

That's been debated to death. LLs standard viewers will never have RLV.

>> * Alias text is dark gray on a black backround. Seriously? I don't want to be too mean, but this is not good design, a very amateur mistake. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of Viewer 2: amateur UI design mistakes.

Agreed. Whoever came up with that low-contrast bloated UI deserves to get fired.

>> * Also look at the sky and settings shortcuts on the bottom right of the Phoenix interface. They got it right.

I use Kirstens, that one has the sky settings in the top bar. Still too bloated but better. Me, I wish the whole bottom bar would be gone for good. Dynamic-size "tray" on the right, maybe chat entry bar on the left (though I fail to see why)... the rest is wasted space, the buttons could as well be up in the "address bar".

My biggest gripe with V2 is that whoever designs its UI doesn't seem to have the first clue about usability or UI design in general, let alone SL usage variations between building, socializing, whatever else.

Persephone Emerald wrote:

While we're talking about making Inventory easier & more fun to use, how about adding another Phoenix feature. Let people narrow the scope of Inventory searches by the type of item they're looking for - eg objects, clothing layers, landmarks, or notecards. Also give them a "Worn" tab on the top, so the don't have to type "worn" into the inventory search bar window to see what they're wearing.

Erm... both of these features are there in v2. To my knoledge, have been since public beta, maybe a little after that. What you wear is (to me, logical) in the Appearance panel. The filter is in the "gear" icon in the inventory.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Jenni, thank you for your comments. I'd be curious to know what you could not reproduce. In the meantime here are some thoughts on your thoughts..

With windlight, maybe it's just a beta thing, and they'll add it back in, I hope. It's not so much cross-compatibility with older .wl files (though that would be nice), but for going forward, a simple way to share wl settings seems like a good idea

I will look for these Hitomis skins, thank you :)

I missed the debate on RLV :( I don't see the downside, or why it really needs a debate, but maybe I'm being naive. Is it the BDSM connotation that spooks people, or some other reason? I have no interest in being somebody's slave, and am free to ignore that use of RLV. For me, the ability to save and manage/wear my outfits in a web browser, which is fast, efficient, and separate from the SL interface, is why I use RLV, and for that extensibility, it's a wonderful thing.

I guess that'll be yet another reason to avoid SL's viewer.

I have to totally agree with you on the UI. I know some people like the black-and-gray thing, and that's ok - if other skins are available, that sort of removes black as a serious objection; but it's all the "stuff" all over the place that can't be eliminated. I admit to being an Apple fan, specifically for their design philosophy - less is more. Obviously V2 fails there, with its preponderance of gewgaws and whatnots. But to me, what's even worse is that they made pointless changes to the UI simply for the sake of making changes. A most emblematic example of this is the "Refresh" button. Look at the Snapshot window... all the buttons are text buttons, except the previously-texted button named "Refresh." Now, it's a little reverse arrow circle thingy. The space for a Refresh-texted button is still there, but they made a single button iconic rather than textual.

To me this is just silliness, and just screams poor design sense. And this lack of design sense ripples throughout the viewer 2 interface. I don't mean to be uncharitable, but perhaps hiring people who actually studied UI design and philosophy, and had at least passing familiarity with SL, would have been a better idea.

I've read the excuses from Lindens, and the appologia from the faithful, and I understand that both groups are wedded to V2 come hell or high water but I'm afraid I am just an unbeliever :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.