Zoom and Avatar

conilmionome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi guys, just a question.

when in any place i use the zoom the hair and ears disappear unless i'm in the foreground. as soon as i move the perspective away with the scroll they are no longer visible. they are strechable hair and etre ears.

could someone help me? thanks everyone!

Edited by conilmionome

As you zoom out, and meshes are moved further away from your camera, they will begin to be drawn using their lower-poly models to improve your rendering performance (or 'deform'), how exactly this looks depends on whether the mesh actually has a lower poly mesh model or if SL draws one willy nilly when you upload the mesh (some creators just put their full poly version as the 'lower' level and call it 'HIGH LOD' mesh - this is generally bad for performance, especially if the mesh is too complex for SL to begin with; i.e. the creator either doesn't know how or care to actually create virtual assets). A way to increase the distance of which things begin to deform, you can increase your LOD factor, but this may have adverse effects on your performance overall (Firestorm has a LOD slider in the 'quick preferences' menu, allowing you to increase or decrease it whenever you like; 1-2 is usually what people have by default, but a lot of people tell you that you should always crank it up to 4, or even use debug settings to crank it up to 8).

On 8/30/2019 at 12:08 PM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Content creators should make their objects LOD models in such a way that they rendered properly at an object quality of 1.125 or at least 2.

Objets that have bad lod models are not accidental, whether the creator did so through ignorance, lazyness, or to push the LI of the object down, it's always intentional.

So in short, find new hair and ears that are actually made in a way that works in SL, rather than just looking good in the close-up advert to cash in on people's ignorance and vanity. Or always stand eerily close to people and hope that they don't zoom out. 

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.