The Best Viewer To Use With Only 2GB Of Ram????

Rufio63

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using the second life viewer 2. 6.3 227447 right now.

This is my computer specs:

HP  Amd Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.30 Ghz  processor

Memory 1918MB  32 bit Vista

Graphics Card  6150 se Nvidia with updated drivers

My computer handles this version of viewer, and it hasn't crashed during play (yet).

When I go somewhere with a lot of buildings or Zyngo machines, my computer screams at me!

Maybe the fan is kicking on but it is very loud!!! Is there a better viewer to download that my computer can handle better?

Also I go to my task manager and close as many processes as I can.  Thanks for any help!!!

close other open applictaions, reduce draw distance, possibly even your graphics setting, and maybe just maybe Cool VL(jgi) will run a little better on it.

but as has been said above... the graphic card probably isn't up to the task, everything else is reasonable.

and if it's making a screaching noise that means the fan is about to, or has already failed, and needs replaced before it overheats and burns up

Graphics Card  6150 se Nvidia with updated drivers

I am only adding to the chorus, but i can confirm that nVidia 6150SE is really inadequate to run SL in a reasonable way.

The following will make the "serious gamer PC" types cringe, but this will be OK for the casual user.

A PC with specs like yours probably has a PCIe 16x slot in it. It probably also has a wimpy power supply, around 250 watts.

One very inexpensive way out of your conundrum would be a card with an ATI HD 5450. This card is not a good performer compared to the real gaming cards, but it will be plenty adequate for casual SL use and will do quite well for photos, 10-15 fps with 128 draw distance and Windlight enabled, much better than that with basic shaders off. These cards retail for ~US$30 or sometimes less, and their peak wattage is only 20, so you don't need a power supply upgrade. They are quiet too, since they don't need fans.

If you have the spare cash for a stronger power supply and a nicer graphic card, by all means get them, but the above is pretty close to the minimum you will want to use with today's SL and not feel the need to scream.

Rufio63 wrote:

I downloaded the 2009 version viewer 1-23-5-136262. It downdoaded great, but how do you log on with only 1 username? It looks like with that old version you had two names for logon.

Hi, if you have a newer account without a last name, use "Resident" as a place holder in the "Last Name:" blank. Be aware that 1.23.5 is very old and unmaintained and has a major bug, it is easy for other people to crash your viewer whenever they want.

If you're stuck with Windows, which is notoriously bad at memory management, at least turn off the Aero interface by switching to a classic windows theme:  The glassy effects take up a lot of GPU time and memory.  With the older GPU, and the small amount of RAM, I don't think it's a question of "which viewer" but rather "is Windows the right OS for this machine?"

Cerise wrote:

The following will make the "serious gamer PC" types cringe, but this will be OK for the casual user.

That's usually a good thing.  Remember that "serious gamer PC types" are typically wannabes who don't really know what they're talking about.  If we were talking about cars, they'd be the ones trying to fit into a crowd of gearheads, yet drive something along the lines of this monstrosity.  If they had an opinion that mattered, they would have a career in IT.

Rufio63 wrote:

I downloaded the 2009 version viewer 1-23-5-136262. It downdoaded great, but how do you log on with only 1 username? It looks like with that old version you had two names for logon.

Your last name is "Resident," whether you want it or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.