total newbie to second life!

utahraptcr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello! i go by raptor, and while i tried to place this a few times on and off, i never hung around longer than a few minutes.
though, i feel now that i have a nice avatar, i can really properly explore it and not feel so out of place? but really, i dunno what to do!
i'm kind of socially awkward, so communicating can be a bit hard for me, but i don't even know where to go when it comes to meeting others with similar interests!

i'm also learning how to mess with avatars, too. not entirely successfully-- but still!

anyway, it's nice to meet everyone! 

• Like 1

What kind of stuff do you like to do? I was out of SL for a long time and recently came back, and I find I like just picking random places from the destination guide and seeing where they lead. It is a little daunting going places where you don't really know anyone, but SL is a lot of fun to explore if you give it a chance. Feel free to IM me inworld if you'd like.

• Thanks 1

Hey there! Nice profile pic, what a pretty snokra. ^^

I've been on SL for years and still find it awkward to explore around, aha. I never know where to go and can find it daunting to visit heavy-traffic areas, especially when they're all quiet and never speak in local. I mostly spend my time modding avatars when I'm on, I have a ton of em, including a few custom snokras!

I've been poking around for people to talk to and places to hang out, so go ahead and drop a message if you'd like. :0

sergal snok.png

crocobubbums.png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, utahraptcr said:

hello! i go by raptor, and while i tried to place this a few times on and off, i never hung around longer than a few minutes.
though, i feel now that i have a nice avatar, i can really properly explore it and not feel so out of place? but really, i dunno what to do!
i'm kind of socially awkward, so communicating can be a bit hard for me, but i don't even know where to go when it comes to meeting others with similar interests!

i'm also learning how to mess with avatars, too. not entirely successfully-- but still!

anyway, it's nice to meet everyone! 

Hi Utah. Welcome to SL. The easiest way for me has always been joining groups with my same interests. If you enjoy RP, find a sim/group that relates to you; same with music, building.... Group chats and events are a great way to meet new people. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

What kind of stuff do you like to do? I was out of SL for a long time and recently came back, and I find I like just picking random places from the destination guide and seeing where they lead. It is a little daunting going places where you don't really know anyone, but SL is a lot of fun to explore if you give it a chance. Feel free to IM me inworld if you'd like.

i enjoy roleplaying a ton! i do it a lot off site, so maybe it would be fun to do here?
a lot of gaming related stuff, drawing. music! 

18 hours ago, LilithServil said:

Hey there! Nice profile pic, what a pretty snokra. ^^

I've been on SL for years and still find it awkward to explore around, aha. I never know where to go and can find it daunting to visit heavy-traffic areas, especially when they're all quiet and never speak in local. I mostly spend my time modding avatars when I'm on, I have a ton of em, including a few custom snokras!

I've been poking around for people to talk to and places to hang out, so go ahead and drop a message if you'd like. :0

sergal snok.png

crocobubbums.png

oh my gosh, those two are AMAZING!! i'm still learning how to piece together avatars and stuff. it's really hard and kinda daunting, but it seems like the result is very much worth it in the end!!

12 hours ago, Elena Core said:

Hi Utah. Welcome to SL. The easiest way for me has always been joining groups with my same interests. If you enjoy RP, find a sim/group that relates to you; same with music, building.... Group chats and events are a great way to meet new people. 

i'll keep that in mind! guess i just gotta put myself out there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, utahraptcr said:

i enjoy roleplaying a ton! i do it a lot off site, so maybe it would be fun to do here?
a lot of gaming related stuff, drawing. music! 

oh my gosh, those two are AMAZING!! i'm still learning how to piece together avatars and stuff. it's really hard and kinda daunting, but it seems like the result is very much worth it in the end!!

i'll keep that in mind! guess i just gotta put myself out there!

Modding your own avatars def isn't easy and takes a ton of practice, but it's soooo worth it! I hand make my own textures; it's not too dissimilar to putting together sewing patterns, and once you get a feel for it, it's a really fun hobby. Pretty much all of my spending money is generated from my sales now, so I haven't had to put cash into SL in a long time. ^^

I wouldn't mind giving pointers and stuff for putting your own avs together sometime if you'd want! Like I said, I've been looking for some nice people to hang out with for a while now aha. What kind of gaming related stuff btw? :0

5 hours ago, LilithServil said:

Modding your own avatars def isn't easy and takes a ton of practice, but it's soooo worth it! I hand make my own textures; it's not too dissimilar to putting together sewing patterns, and once you get a feel for it, it's a really fun hobby. Pretty much all of my spending money is generated from my sales now, so I haven't had to put cash into SL in a long time. ^^

I wouldn't mind giving pointers and stuff for putting your own avs together sometime if you'd want! Like I said, I've been looking for some nice people to hang out with for a while now aha. What kind of gaming related stuff btw? :0

i would love that!! here recently, i got some lindens and tried my hardest to put together these two new avis, but the EYES never wanted to be in the right spot. it was such a pain, so i eventually gave up and had my one friend help.

a lot of nintendo stuff! other than that, minecraft? a lot of minecraft.
i have a huge steam library too. biiiig gamer. :>

20 minutes ago, utahraptcr said:

i would love that!! here recently, i got some lindens and tried my hardest to put together these two new avis, but the EYES never wanted to be in the right spot. it was such a pain, so i eventually gave up and had my one friend help.

a lot of nintendo stuff! other than that, minecraft? a lot of minecraft.
i have a huge steam library too. biiiig gamer. 😆

Ohhhh gosh furry eyes are the bane of my existence. > >   Typically eyes that fit in one head won't fit in another without a LOT of fiddling. There's also that annoyance of trying to get them in the right spot if you want them to move with your camera/mouse... So many times I think I'll get them right, only for them to move and pop 2 ft out of the skull. x_x

I love minecraft! And anything building-related, really. I'm kind of guilty of just playing on a private realm with friends and only ever messing around in creative mode. ;w;  Atm my big addictions are Planet Zoo, Red Dead 2, and Spyro Reignited. Love nintendo stuff too but unfortunately haven't been able to play many nintendo games due to not having the latest consoles. Pretty much everything after the original Wii I haven't been able to get.

Edit: I'd totally recommend checking out Pyre on steam since you're a pc gamer. The art style is so pretty and I love all of the characters, but it seems like such a little known game. :0

Edited by LilithServil

31 minutes ago, LilithServil said:

Ohhhh gosh furry eyes are the bane of my existence. > >   Typically eyes that fit in one head won't fit in another without a LOT of fiddling. There's also that annoyance of trying to get them in the right spot if you want them to move with your camera/mouse... So many times I think I'll get them right, only for them to move and pop 2 ft out of the skull. x_x

I love minecraft! And anything building-related, really. I'm kind of guilty of just playing on a private realm with friends and only ever messing around in creative mode. ;w;  Atm my big addictions are Planet Zoo, Red Dead 2, and Spyro Reignited. Love nintendo stuff too but unfortunately haven't been able to play many nintendo games due to not having the latest consoles. Pretty much everything after the original Wii I haven't been able to get.

Edit: I'd totally recommend checking out Pyre on steam since you're a pc gamer. The art style is so pretty and I love all of the characters, but it seems like such a little known game. :0

YEAH it was such a pain. they kept going into the weirdest places. it was the woooorst. if it weren't for that, i might of been able to put it all together on my own. :')) maaaybe.
same here! i love open world survival games. those are farming games are my main go-to's in most cases! same with monster collecting games! pokemon being the obvious one. i wanna get a nice pokemon avatar here but i wouldn't know where to start looking!

oooh, i haven't played it, but i heard pyre's soundtrack and it's BEAUTIFUL. same with transistor and bastion. suuuuch good music.

21 minutes ago, utahraptcr said:

YEAH it was such a pain. they kept going into the weirdest places. it was the woooorst. if it weren't for that, i might of been able to put it all together on my own. :')) maaaybe.
same here! i love open world survival games. those are farming games are my main go-to's in most cases! same with monster collecting games! pokemon being the obvious one. i wanna get a nice pokemon avatar here but i wouldn't know where to start looking!

oooh, i haven't played it, but i heard pyre's soundtrack and it's BEAUTIFUL. same with transistor and bastion. suuuuch good music.

Yeahhh what I typically do is just buy eyes fit for the specific head or shape, then texture them to fit whatever I need. xwx I dare not make my own eyes... Nor adjust em... I should probably learn how to do it sometime but eh LOL

Aaa survival games, yessss. I used to play The Isle daily but now I'm just waiting for the recode. :'D Hopefully by feb. If not, Path of Titans is what I'm setting my sights on... As for a pokemon av, you could always search pokemon in the SL Marketplace and see what comes up-- careful not to buy any mod kits you don't have the base avatars needed for, though! Reading descriptions are mega important, I made such a bad mistake of buying mod kits and not the actual avatars when I was new to SL.

Oh man beautiful is an understatement, it's soooo goooood. The announcer in Pyre is great too, I modded a dragon based off of him out of a snokra for my boyfriend a year or so back and uploaded a handful of sound gestures to match. I still need to try Bastion and Transistor sometime, as well as Hades. I've heard they're both good, but I do worry I won't like them as much as Pyre just because it's the supergiant game I've played first. ;w;

3 minutes ago, LilithServil said:

Yeahhh what I typically do is just buy eyes fit for the specific head or shape, then texture them to fit whatever I need. xwx I dare not make my own eyes... Nor adjust em... I should probably learn how to do it sometime but eh LOL

Aaa survival games, yessss. I used to play The Isle daily but now I'm just waiting for the recode. :'D Hopefully by feb. If not, Path of Titans is what I'm setting my sights on... As for a pokemon av, you could always search pokemon in the SL Marketplace and see what comes up-- careful not to buy any mod kits you don't have the base avatars needed for, though! Reading descriptions are mega important, I made such a bad mistake of buying mod kits and not the actual avatars when I was new to SL.

Oh man beautiful is an understatement, it's soooo goooood. The announcer in Pyre is great too, I modded a dragon based off of him out of a snokra for my boyfriend a year or so back and uploaded a handful of sound gestures to match. I still need to try Bastion and Transistor sometime, as well as Hades. I've heard they're both good, but I do worry I won't like them as much as Pyre just because it's the supergiant game I've played first. ;w;

i tried the isle cuz i love dinosaurs! as one may guess from my username and stuff.
but it felt really empty and lonely there so i couldn't get too into it. ;v; so i settled for ark: survival evolved.
i found a few? only a handful. oh well. i'm sure i can dig more up if i refine the search more. 

i have a lot of the songs on my spotify even though i never played any of the games. my friend gifted me transistor a liiittle while back, but i haven't gotten around to it. i have 70+ games on there and more irl. ;v; 

you seem really nice, so feel free to like, message me or friend me if you want!!!!

5 minutes ago, utahraptcr said:

i tried the isle cuz i love dinosaurs! as one may guess from my username and stuff.
but it felt really empty and lonely there so i couldn't get too into it. ;v; so i settled for ark: survival evolved.
i found a few? only a handful. oh well. i'm sure i can dig more up if i refine the search more. 

i have a lot of the songs on my spotify even though i never played any of the games. my friend gifted me transistor a liiittle while back, but i haven't gotten around to it. i have 70+ games on there and more irl. ;v; 

you seem really nice, so feel free to like, message me or friend me if you want!!!!

How long ago did you first try The Isle? It used to be pretty bustling years back when I first yoinked it (like, 2016? Or so?) but maps keep getting bigger and updates keep getting fewer and further between. There's a "recode" in progress rn where the devs are basically recreating the game from the ground up, there's a trailer for it called Hope out. A lot of the playerbase has dropped off because the game hasn't been updated in almost a year, but it'll probably spring back up once it's out! There are supposed to be, like.... 14 new dinosaurs added, or something? Along with flying reptiles + deinosuchus. 

I've never tried Ark, I'd like to sometime though. :0  Atm I just kind of pingpong between The Isle and Beasts of Bermuda to get my dino fix, probably gonna yoink Path of Titans on release day!

You'll probs get better results if you search individual pokemon names vs "pokemon" itself, for example Umbreon brings up almost 200 results, Pikachu over that. ^^

Whoa that's a lot of games! I'm sure I have close to that number with steam and irl discs/cartridges combined though. Oh man another game with a good story and music is Okami if you haven't heard of that one. I'm doing a nuzlocke right now for the steam version, since I've played the original PS2 release every year since it first came out.

I'll def do that! Sorry for such big messages, I tend to ramble about topics that interest me aha xwx

Hey dude, good to see you joining in SL! Btw I am loving the avi. I'm going to say, if you like furry community, from which it looks like you might...I have a few hangouts I could IM to you with landmarks and such that you could check out inworld. :3

Hell, feel free to message me!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LilithServil said:

How long ago did you first try The Isle? It used to be pretty bustling years back when I first yoinked it (like, 2016? Or so?) but maps keep getting bigger and updates keep getting fewer and further between. There's a "recode" in progress rn where the devs are basically recreating the game from the ground up, there's a trailer for it called Hope out. A lot of the playerbase has dropped off because the game hasn't been updated in almost a year, but it'll probably spring back up once it's out! There are supposed to be, like.... 14 new dinosaurs added, or something? Along with flying reptiles + deinosuchus. 

I've never tried Ark, I'd like to sometime though. :0  Atm I just kind of pingpong between The Isle and Beasts of Bermuda to get my dino fix, probably gonna yoink Path of Titans on release day!

You'll probs get better results if you search individual pokemon names vs "pokemon" itself, for example Umbreon brings up almost 200 results, Pikachu over that. ^^

Whoa that's a lot of games! I'm sure I have close to that number with steam and irl discs/cartridges combined though. Oh man another game with a good story and music is Okami if you haven't heard of that one. I'm doing a nuzlocke right now for the steam version, since I've played the original PS2 release every year since it first came out.

I'll def do that! Sorry for such big messages, I tend to ramble about topics that interest me aha xwx

i'll have to check out beasts of bermuda!! i think this is the first time i ever heard of it?? maybe. my memory is sooo bad.
but yes! ark is absolutely AMAZING if you can actually run it. it's a very veeery heavy game resource wise. i have an alienware laptop that costed me a small fortune and i can still only run it on medium settings for the most part.

i've had my steam since like? i dunno, really. a loong loooong time now! so it just collects over time!

and not a problem!! i do the same thing! 😆

5 hours ago, GillianXRCR said:

Hey dude, good to see you joining in SL! Btw I am loving the avi. I'm going to say, if you like furry community, from which it looks like you might...I have a few hangouts I could IM to you with landmarks and such that you could check out inworld. :3

Hell, feel free to message me!

thank you! i adore her to bits. making avatars is pretty fun, even if i am far from a pro at it.
and definitely! i would love that! i'm kind of at a loss of where to go for the time being.
will do!!

16 minutes ago, utahraptcr said:

i'll have to check out beasts of bermuda!! i think this is the first time i ever heard of it?? maybe. my memory is sooo bad.
but yes! ark is absolutely AMAZING if you can actually run it. it's a very veeery heavy game resource wise. i have an alienware laptop that costed me a small fortune and i can still only run it on medium settings for the most part.

i've had my steam since like? i dunno, really. a loong loooong time now! so it just collects over time!

and not a problem!! i do the same thing! 😆

thank you! i adore her to bits. making avatars is pretty fun, even if i am far from a pro at it.
and definitely! i would love that! i'm kind of at a loss of where to go for the time being.
will do!!

Be warned that BoB isn't as "pretty" as the isle and it can be pretty barren if you want no-rules servers. x_x  But it's got more content, arguably.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to run ark :0 I can run Red Dead 2 on a mix of ultra, high, and mid settings. Got an Asus here, I had an alienware a few years back before upgrading to my asus and I'll honestly never go back to alienware despite liking the aesthetics more, because I was able to get better hardware overall for about the same price. Like... My alienware was 1.5k, my asus was about the same but the nvidia card and cpu were like, 5x better. I wanna get a desktop some day, but laptops are better for my living situation atm. ^^

If you find some nice communities to go to def lemme know, I've been looking for a long while now. :0 All of the furry communities I've tried have such a heavy emphasis on nsfw content that I end up not feeling comfortable sticking around. The one place I did enjoy, the owner banned me from because I didn't want to be his steam/discord friend. >_> Long story.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.