REQ: Info on pure blender 2.8 rigging.

LazarusSyndrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying my hardest to avoid avastar but there isn't a lot of information out there on ringing without it. I have had limited success using two cubes and joining them, then creating an armature and adding a bone, changing the bone names to the ones used in SL, and uploading.

However I ran into this strange issue where my mesh would change shape, size, and or orientation after you tick the animesh object button. This effect could be seen in the upload window when you tick weights as well. GIF Link

What am I missing?

• 4 weeks later...

After reading this and other articles and some time experimenting I am still stuck.

I managed to fix the problem with the squishing (used a different skeleton) and uploading the model it came with worked however trying to remove the model and doing it with a cube for instance did not. I parented the cube to the armature with empty weights and manually painted the weight for a non attachment point bone. After testing in pose mode and confirming intended movement with the bone I oriented to the X+ and applied rotation and scale then I went to export using the blender options for rigged secondlife objects.

The result of which was during the upload window I did not have the option to check skin weights or joint positions.

2 hours ago, LazarusSyndrome said:

After reading this and other articles and some time experimenting I am still stuck.

I managed to fix the problem with the squishing (used a different skeleton) and uploading the model it came with worked however trying to remove the model and doing it with a cube for instance did not. I parented the cube to the armature with empty weights and manually painted the weight for a non attachment point bone. After testing in pose mode and confirming intended movement with the bone I oriented to the X+ and applied rotation and scale then I went to export using the blender options for rigged secondlife objects.

The result of which was during the upload window I did not have the option to check skin weights or joint positions.

Since this detail is missing from your description, perhaps the selection is important for a correct export from blender. Did you select both the mesh and the skeleton when exporting?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 3:11 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Since this detail is missing from your description, perhaps the selection is important for a correct export from blender. Did you select both the mesh and the skeleton when exporting?

Yes both the model and the skeleton was selected. (Also it never said the detail was missing.) It just didn't give the option to view weights or joints.

(Actually I tried exporting many times with many different things) (Skeleton first then object, object first then skeleton, just object, just skeleton, etc)

It's worth mentioning the skeleton actually came with a very basic avatar which does export and upload correctly but I can't understand why.

Edited by LazarusSyndrome

5 hours ago, LazarusSyndrome said:

Yes both the model and the skeleton was selected. (Also it never said the detail was missing.) It just didn't give the option to view weights or joints.

(Actually I tried exporting many times with many different things) (Skeleton first then object, object first then skeleton, just object, just skeleton, etc)

It's worth mentioning the skeleton actually came with a very basic avatar which does export and upload correctly but I can't understand why.

I meant that you did not include the detail about how the selection was made. Anyway, you may want to check whether there are more than 110 bones listed in the vertex groups panels, that's the limit per mesh object. If that's the case, you need to split your model up in several parts and remove the unused vertex groups from each part. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.