WHY AM I SO SLOW IN SL

pinkchinarose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have the phoenix viewer i have viewer 2 and i have viewer beta... in all my viewers i move exteamly slow i was told it was the grid but its been like this for a week now. i've even uninstalled all of the viewers and installed them back and i have the same problem. what do i do?

3 answers to this question

Your graphics card is probably working overtime trying to keep up with changes as you move around.  If your frame rate is really low, every step you take is like walking in quicksand.  You can try to improve things by reducing your draw distance to something like 64m or less, for a start.  In Preferences >> Graphics, set your quality to a lower setting too.  Those things are band-aids, of course.  The real cure is to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card.

I'm assuming, of course, that you are moving slowly everywhere, not just in a few sims.  If the problem is limited to a few sims where it's really crowded, then it's nothing ou can do much about.  SL's servers can't handle huge crowds of avs all at once, so everyone slows down.

What other programs do you have running while you are in SL? If I am in world and my Anti-virus decides to do a scan of the hard drive, or if Microsoft decides to push a download, my frame rate drops way down. If you have e-mail running in the background or have added other software that is polling the Internatet regularly, those will slow things down too. Also, are you using wireless? If so, try a direct cable connection. You can lose a lot of bandwidth to interference on wifi, even if it's a private network. Everything from cell phones to garage door openers can conflict with wifi.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.