Living lag-free in Belli

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a thread for folks to contribute their ideas for lag control on LH sims. I'll kick it off with just a few observations:

-- You may note that the entire Belli estate makes extensive use of the same textures, not only for the homes themselves of course, but also for the landscaping.  Textures are the guiltiest party in causing client-side lag, so if your own landscaping and decor can re-use some elements you (and even your neighbors) have already used, you'll be easing the load for all of us.  I'm kinda amazed that LL didn't give us all Belli rocks and ferns to use.

-- Avatars are the BIGGEST source of unique textures and scripts.  If I'm working on something where I want quick rez, I often turn on 'Show friends only' option (in FS - don't know about the LL viewer).  It is much more effective at lag elimination than lowering complexity... non-friend avatars do not seem to be loaded into your client at all.  You have to TP out and return to turn the setting off.  I don't know whether the Privacy option to eliminate avatar rezzing beyond your parcel works the same way, but I suspect it does.  In walking around Belli, I see a LOT of parcels with privacy on, so maybe that will help.

-- Some boats/vehicles have a LOT of scripts.  And yet, we use them very infrequently.  Though many of the scripts might be the same animation script repeated a dozen times, and thus share bytecode, memory is still reserved for each script's declared variables.  I've been known to use only a prop version of a vehicle most of the time, and replace it with a working version only when I intend to use it.

Your thoughts?

• Like 3

- Textures/pictures that you use arround or put on frames, etc, be mindfull of the size. you dont need a big texture for a small polaroid or frame, and most pictures saved ends up being 1024x1024 wich is quite big. A lot of peopel ends up using so many big textures around the homes without noticing.  If can, resize images to 512x512, or even better, 256x256.

- Delete/remove scripts on things that wont be used. Some objects have resize scripts or rezzer scripts that you only use when setting it up. You can delete those scripts and wont make any difference but help with the lag.

- Let animal control take care of breedables. They are wild animals and they are dangerous, seriously.

- Try to keep objects that use listeners to a minimum. Things that works remotely use listeners. Usually lights that works with switches (and dont require you to link them together to work), door bells with similar functions, etc, will have listeners to communicate with each other.

- Make most of the objects Phantom. If you dont need to collide with an object, it can be phantom. Physics also has some toll on regions. Less colliding objects the better. If you know how to set linked objects physics to "none", do it.

- Objects that actively use phyciscs engines. Things that moves around are ususally actively physical. Roaming animals are commonly actively physical, and some of them uses pathfinding unnecesarilly. Pathfinding sometimes can be a big infractor. Vehicles that are not properly parked stays physical.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.