WASD Keys Combinations for Diagonal Movement in Crouch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using WASD keys to move my avatar. I enabled this in the Firestorm Viewer by checking the checkbox at:

Avatar => Preferences => Move & View => Movement (tab) => Pressing letter keys affects movement

A combination of WASD keys can be used for diagonal movements with respect to the direction the avatar is facing in mouselook. These directions are:

W & A: forward left
W & D : forward right
S & A: rear left
S & D : rear right

Because I use these in Gorean combat I have done what most combatants do, and edited Firestorm's keys.xml file so I can use my thumb to crouch, and thereby be shielded, using the spacebar. This was done by changing the element:

<binding mask="NONE" key="SPACE" command="stop_moving"/>

to

<binding key="SPACE" mask="NONE" command="push_down"/>

(The attributes in the above elements might not be in the order as given above. This order is not important)

In the two places it appears there, which are under the elements: <first_person>, and <third_person>.

I find that in crouch by spacebar I can use WASD keys to move diagonally forward left, and forward right. But while in crouch the movements to rear left, and rear right, do not work. My avatar does not move at all while attempting these rearward diagonals. Why will this not work? Is there a solution to this? Is this expected, or a Firestorm Viewer bug?

In crouch the S key alone does work to move to the rear.

Using the arrow keys I am able to move on the rearward diagonals while in crouch. But this is not an acceptable solution.

Edited by agentronin
grammar

20 minutes ago, agentronin said:

It has occurred to me this problem might have something to do with my use of a PS2 keyboard. I would like to know if anyone using a USB keyboard is able to move diagonally backwards while in crouch.

Yes I am - number of keyboard keys simultaniously detected is usually a hardware limitation of your keyboard itself though - simply get a better one (gaming keyboards usually tell you that number on the package) ;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.