All 2x viewers have jerky animations and controls. No 1x viewer is doing this. Any Suggestions?

Vivito Volare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Currently using 2.6.2

Problem has existed for me in all 2x based veiwers, including the TPVs

Running Nvidia 9800 GT with most recent drivers. Athlon x2 400+  4 Gigs of Ram

0% packetloss 50 to 120ms pingtime, depending on the sim.

Controls are exceedingly jerky. As I walk, it looks like frames were being dropped. Watching the stats bar, I see FPS jump about erratically. In the same locations, 1x simply don't do this. I can run both viewers side by side with all the same settings and the effect is the same: jerky movement and animation in the 2x viewer, but not the 1x one.

What changed?(ok, overly simplistic question, I know)

Is this a known issue? Is there something I can tweak to clear this up? I could not find anything relavent in the JIRA that wasn't very old. Any help is appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Um, if you check the preferences hardware settings it could have turned on Anisostropic filtering or Vertex buffers ect. and your card might not like them. I think also, for a newer card, they say that Vertex Buffering makes it run faster....so, maybe it is the opposite and you need to turn some things on! Ctrl+p and then to the graphics tab.

Another thing might be the automatic downloads they have these last few versions. You can find them in the advanced or other tab. Otherwise, you have me stumped other than hardware issues or maybe an anti-virus software interfering with the newer code?

Hello Vivito. A quick answer is that no, it is no a known issue. If FPS jump about erratically it means lag. Your FPS must to be at least above 15. If it always above 15, your avatar should be able to move without problems. Check some more things in your statistics bar:

• Time Dilation: Must to be as closer as is possible to 1. Always it must to be over than 0.96 when sim isn't full and when it is full is normal to go a little down
  • Sim FPS: Must to be always 45 but when the sim is full, goes down to 42-44 but again after some seconds should be back to 45
  • Physics FPS: Must to be always 44-45

If you don't see these numbers, you obviously have lag. You can set your graphics to medium or try also temporarily low graphics and your draw distance to lower by Preferences. Higher quality and draw distance = your computer needs longer time to load everything you see. Each region = different server.

Try a sim with less lag.  Smith is protected land which is recommended.

Be sure that when you log in with Viewer 2, you have ALL your items in your inventory fully loaded and everything arround also before you try to move arround.

Try to clear your cache. Usually it helps.

Have a look at the following link. Some suggestions by Lexie Linden about how you can SL to run faster:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/How-can-I-make-Second-Life-run-faster/qaq-p/696314

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.