Ugly edge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have a problem and I hope someone can help :)

I created a box, hollowed and stretched it, to make a square screen around a platform. Then I uploaded the pga. texture I made, and textured the screen inside.

Outside the screen is made blank and grey. - The top is made transparent.

But... why does this ugly blank line appear on the top on the edge of the hollowed box, please ?

1725071120_Blacklineonuploadedscreen_001.jpg.1ac1c531e3c95216e6755fe45af70f90.jpg

42 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Try rescaling the texture on the prim face. Change the Z scale to 0.98 instead of 1.00 and see if the line goes away.  If not, pretend it's a telephone wire? 😉

Hi Rolig, like so many times before, you have once again made my day ... I changed the vertical scale from 1.00 to 0.98, and now it looks fine!

Thank you so much... 😊

• Like 1

This is a side-effect of the way textures are drawn (basically tiled infinitely). What you're seeing at the top is actually the bottom of the same texture.

The "true" solution that works even in cases where you can't change the scale of the texture (like particles) is to open the texture in an image editor and make the last line of pixels on the opposite side transparent before uploading it to SL.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

32 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This is a side-effect of the way textures are drawn (basically tiled infinitely). What you're seeing at the top is actually the bottom of the same texture.

The "true" solution that works even in cases where you can't change the scale of the texture (like particles) is to make the last line of pixels on the opposite side transparent.

Thank you Wulfie  for the explanation. Always good to know, what is really happening with the texture... I am not sure though, that I understand what you mean with this: "to make the last line of pixels on the opposite side transparent." - How can this be done, please? To upload another kind of texture, or what do you mean? :) 

The trick is to make it so that the texture, which was not originally designed to tile, tiles anyway.  Changing the scale of the texture does that because it forces the couple of rows of pixels at the opposite edges of the texture to overlap.  In a texture like yours, where there is nothing fancy going on in those rows, the overlap takes care of the problem.  What Wulfie is suggesting is redoing the texture itself in Photoshop (or wherever).  You either make a couple of rows of pixels transparent so that they don't interfere when they are tiled, or you actually remake the texture as a tileable texture by making a few rows of pixels blend gracefully into the image on the opposite edge.  

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

What Wulfie is suggesting is redoing the texture itself in Photoshop (or wherever).  You either make a couple of rows of pixels transparent so that they don't interfere when they are tiled, or you actually remake the texture as a tileable texture by making a few rows of pixels blend gracefully into the image on the opposite edge.  

Yes, but the solution I gave only applies to textures where one side is transparent and the other isn't. I'm not talking about textures with repeats (so they appear tiled), what I meant to explain was that textures -- even at 1x1 repeats -- are tiled. That's why the solid bottom of the texture is visible at the top. Here, I've illustrated it:

38f2f44388.png

(Click on the image to enlarge it. This method works with any image though, it doesn't have to be a smooth gradient.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Thank you again Rolig and Wulfie - Always great to come into this forum and learn new stuff 😍

My photo-edit program (and my skills in this) are at a very low level, so I have a way to go yet, but learning all the time... Thanks again to the both of you for the help and explanations  ... :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.