Are the role play sims more laggy than most?

Fennet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Are the role play sims more laggy than most?

I've tried visiting a couple of wild west role play sims, but it was 3 steps then wait 15 minutes for the screen to unfreeze.

Are the role play sims generally that laggy, or it is some other problem? I kept getting the black screen, the white screen, brief flashes of picture, then another long,, long wait.

In general, the whole grid seemed very laggy today, a Saturday, so maybe it's just me. I kept walking through walls because i couldn't stop. Then there would be a 5 second delay before I could walk at all. That was in the good sims. Grrrrr!

3 answers to this question

I think my graphics card is fine, and god knows it's powerful enough. 512 MB ram, I think. The screen doesn't flash, just the SL viewer freezing. Maybe my computer memory. I'm a little on the low side with 1 gigabite. Other sims work fine, though. Perfectly, now, actually. The role play, and other very complicated sims, are the only ones that give me trouble. Expecially role play sims.

(I seriously doubt my graphics card can differentiate between the two kinds.)

I believe quite a few RP SIM's run a lot heavier than others. Especially if you factor in the avatars that are all RPing in which quite a few are equiping additional attachments that are usually scripted. It eventually adds up when you have lots of players on the SIM. 

The Freezes that you are experiencing may be a result of "lag spikes" generated on the SIM. (someone Tp's into the SIM or Tp's out of the SIM with high scripts) This has an impact on the server and the results are frequent pauses that everyone on that SIM experiences. You could check your script count and make sure that you are not running high scripts yourself. I think anything below 100 is pretty ideal.

The client interuption as far as the white and black screens you're experience is more than likely because of excessive packet loss, which normally results in crashes shortly after. 

You can confirm all of this by enabling your Statistics Bar and analysis the performance of your computer as well as the performance of the Secondlife World. I would pay close attention to the following on this bar.

To view the Statistics Bar, choose View > Statistics Bar. or Cntrl + Shift + 1

Basics

FPS - The number of times per second your computer is redrawing(or refreshing) what's on the screen. Higher numbers are better. A framerate between 15-30 frames per second (FPS) is about as smooth as broadcast television.

Packet Loss - The amount of data being lost as it travels between your computer and the server. Any nonzero packet loss is bad; packetloss above 10% is very bad. Packet loss might be caused by a dying server (in which case everyone in the region would be experiencing it), a bad connection between you and Second Life (possibly a bad router between your ISP and Second Life, or congestion at your ISP), or problems on your local network (wireless networking, or internet security or firewall software on your computer).

Ping SIM -  How long it takes data to go from your computer to the region you're currently in. This is largely dependent on your connection to the Internet. If Ping Sim is high but Ping User is not, the server might be having problems.

SIMULATOR 

Time Dialation -  The physics simulation rate relative to realtime. 1.0 means that the simulator is running at full speed; 0.5 means that physics are running at half-speed.

SIM FPS - The simulator frame rate. This should now always be the same as the physics frame rate -- 45.0 when things are running well.

ACTIVE SCRIPTS - The number of running scripts that are currently on the simulator, including scripts attached to agents and objects.

PACKETS IN - UDP packets being received by the simulator.

Perhaps this should give you some pretty good ideals. Good luck ^.^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.