what's the normal punishment when a term or service is violated?

MariaCristina Lowey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What's the most normal punishment when a term of service is violated? as disclosure of IM messagges to third parties without consent and, how can I prove that there has been this violation when I have not received that IM messagges but I know it because someone has told me that in voice? Thank you very much.

2 answers to this question

There is no "normal" punishment that covers everything, it depends on the severity of the crime. Some are instant and permanant bans, others are a written warning, with suspensions of varying lengths of time in between.

As for reporting something without proof, LL has to justify any punishment to the offender so they are unlikely to act on hearsay. If someone told you something in voice chat, presumablely they have proof, if not its just gossip. Make some new friends, some people in SL live for drama.

There is no real standard when it comes to abuse of the TOS. LL handles it on a case-by-case basis with absolutely no transparency. They are inconsistent to the point of appearing random in their enforcement. It really depends on who is reviewing the case and how they feel the exact second they review it. There is no real way to guess how it is going to turn out each time. A repeat offender who gets reported often enough will eventually run into consequences, but even that seems to be not assured.

To answer the second part, all you can do is report it. If you have good reason to believe what you believe, document it and report it anyway. It will probably not do a darn thing but it is all you can do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.