Blender Tip: Joining edges with different number of vertices.

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I was learning Blender more than a handful of years ago there were lots of great folks here helping those of us wandering through the 3D miasma.  Not as much of that any longer. So, since I have no intention of making more videos, I am going to post tips  here on the mesh board now and then. Just things that it sometimes takes awhile to figure out and that can be very helpful to those starting out.

Today I was redoing a piece of dropped cloth. I had used the decimate modifier on it to reduce the tri count.  That worked well -- up to a point. The edges where the thickness of the mesh met (filled edge) on one side of the cloth had pulled away from the other. 

Now you REALLY had to cam in to see that this was an issue, but I decided to fix it anyway.  There are a couple of ways this problem could have been solved but I chose reconnecting the errant vertices.

In the screenshot below you can see that the top edge needs to meet a the bottom edge with a differing amount of vertices (and edges of course).

To add a vertex, select the edge and then tap the W key to bring up a menu. Choose Subdivide which will divide the edge in two.   If you need to divide an edge into more than two parts, there is a menu over in the bottom left that comes up that will let you choose "number of cuts". 

Next, click on the vertices you want to join (one where you made the subdivision and one where the edges meet on the bottom edge). Then choose MERGE from the same menu. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish and the order you click on the vertices, you can choose "At Last, At First, or At Center".  Do this for each of the areas that need to be joined (I have MANY on this project :D).   

1668354179_fixingvertices.png.b892724fcef21413676c4886a0673802.png

Finding the menu choices:

image.thumb.png.bb87459c707420214a478f12e7a0f347.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

or select edge loop what do not fit, click double G, then move it so it will link with other edge, select all, space, type remove doubles, enter.  Do it till all works. Then merge edges. Aslo if u use trinagle wrokflow do same with verts but look out to do not destroy shape of your model. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.