Settings Options - Selecting Date Range Suggestion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I keep finding that I am answering older threads, because someone has been playing in the forums, or just because they find the topic interesting. As a firm believer in everything old is new to someone, I don't really have an issue with it, but if you are here often and ongoing it could mess with your enjoyment.

Would it be possible for LL to consider adding to settings section (which is very detailed as it is) the option to only see topics of certain age ranges ? much like we can with our inventories now, searching things older than or by how many days etc. If we were able to select show nothing that is 1week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months a year, two years and so on, but most likely bigger chunks of time, would that help those that find old threads cumbersome not see them at all. It would need to be by date created obviously not last posted on.

I just did a search on Necro posting as it came up a few times and was new to me as an expression, and it seems that people do prefer old posts die, but when people make new posts on a topic that has already been discussed they are asked why...so that seems to cancel out the other, if they just joined the forum and did not find what they needed in older posts...it gets confusing as to the right way to do things. 

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

All they need to do is turn on the "new posts" feature and with one click you get a list of all new posts since your last visit and below that a list of those you haven't read yet but haven't had any new posts since your last visit.

I do unread content and then mark as read, but that still shows old posts that are revived like yesterdays cluster, so just thought if you could just settings close the door on them, that could be an option. 

1 hour ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I do unread content and then mark as read, but that still shows old posts that are revived like yesterdays cluster, so just thought if you could just settings close the door on them, that could be an option. 

To my knowledge none of the forum software makers have ever introduced a feature like that. Of course, not having a way to know if LL's contract with Invision allows LL to make any kind of code changes in the software. I rather doubt it. That has the potential to open up a lot of nasty legal problems.

I've found it easy enough to just not go below the line that separates threads with new posts from threads that don't have any new posts, whether I've read those threads at some point or not. Every now and then I will go through and mark every thing read so that all those old threads fall off the list. When the number of pages start creeping past 5 - 7. Most of the time it isn't necessary because they eventually fall off anyway. 

I do like your idea but for a forum I don't think it is something feasible. You know what they say about keeping things simple. ;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.