Avastar Question (Rigging)

chibiusa Ling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, trying to teach myself rigging and weighting. Figure I might as well given the release of Animesh. But im running into a problem and quite honestly youtube is no help as each video seems to be using its own unique version of Avastar. And the official websites video on weighting is in German and using yet another unique version of Avastar. Apparently part of the Avastar development is changing the layout and location of features quite often....which pretty much null and voids 99.9% of all youtube tutorials on this. So most of what I have found so far has been from a small snippet of information on the main website and generally figuring it out.

So, if I rig an item. Lets say a T-Shirt and the T-Shirt is in the T pose by default. Then I bind to armature, I can edit with weight paint and get something of a decent weighted item. However, if the T-Shirt is not set to T pose and the sleeves are facing down at say a 45 degree angle instead of 90 degrees, I can't seem to get it to rig properly. I did try rotating the arms down to match the angle of the sleeves but when I bind to armature it resets the avatar to the T pose and the weighting goes all kinds of weird. How do I get around this?. What do I specifically need to do to solves this problem?.

Edited by chibiusa Ling

secondly, to rig from t-pose to a-pose you need to be using the correct settings in Avastar, and you can find instruction on the on their website https://avastar.guru/workflows/bind-pose/ If you are working with a dev kit then it is not recommended that you do not alter the rest pose and instead just keep to the default pose that the kit is supplied in.

Firstly. on the avastar website there is also a whole reference section related to rigging, and editing & inspecting weights https://avastar.guru/avastar-2/reference/attachments/

Yes some things get renamed, re-worded, or moved around in Avastar. It's not common practise, it is done when necessary or when improving or implementing new features or even when needed in the process of fixing a bug. The basics of rigging haven't changed much over time, and some videos are still very useful and if the layout is different in that older version and panels are named slightly different then you can search for the name, phrase or terminology on the website and usually get the answer you need which tells you what's where. There is also a very useful section related to the avastar toolshelf itself breaking down the different panels and what they cover https://avastar.guru/help/toolshelf

You also have use of the inworld "Blender Avastar" support group and also the new Avastar discord server should you not be able to be inworld while working

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.