Can you launch SL from the website?

Molly Falta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Do you mean the actual download stops? Or have you managed to download and the installation stops? Or have you managed to install and the viewer crashes when you launch it (if so; how far do you get)?

You can not launch SL from a website. At least not at the moment. LL had (or have?) a beta going on where they test a browserbased version of SL, but nothing have been heard about it for quite a while. It was a very scaled down version in any case, so perhaps not what you want.

- Luc -

If it is an Intel Mac, it's not to old.

Have you had any viewer work on the Mac? I have seen a few - more than usual - reports of the latest viewer not working on the Mac. (I'm lucky, tough, since it works for me).

Try emptying the cache folder (~/Library/Caches/SecondLife) and see if it works. If not, try moving the ~/Library/Application Support/Second Life folder to your desktop and see if the viewer launch (That folder contains all chat and IM logs, so you may want to hold on to it and move these files back if things work).

Also, I recommend downloading and using Onyx from here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx (but make sure you are logged in with a user account that have admin privileges on the mac). Run the tests it asks when you start the program up, and then go to the Automation tab and execute the tasks in that pane. (This will check and repair disk permissions, and run some cleanup jobs and periodical scripts on your system.)

Hopefully, you get things to work this way. If not, there are always a TPV you can try; http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory. Lots of people use these and like them a lot!

- Luc -

In addition to Luc`s great answer,

If you prefer Viewer 2 and you really can`t get the latest update to run, you can download the previous version from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers

Also your original question about launching SL from the website, the closest you can get to doing that is, if you go to a web profile of someone from the website and click to do any of the actions (such as IM) it will launch SL so that you can do that. The same is true if you go to the destination guide and click yes to Teleport to somewhere. It will launch it to the point of opening the login screen.

However I suspect if there is something wrong with the installation then it would still crash, so follow Luc`s possible fix or try one of the older viewers or Third Party ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.