Problem logging in

Julesvegas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently installed a new Antivirus and since then I am having problems accessing to SL.

I tried both Firestorm and the official SL viewer and they both freeze while logging in.

I believe it is a problem with firewall but I have no idea how to fix it (my antivirus is Total AV).

tks !!

5 answers to this question

See the instructions for your AV program to "white list" Second Life and the folders and files it uses.

Antivirus problems are not exactly the same as "firewall" problems...although a lot of AV programs do come with their own firewalls.

Your system should have two firewalls:  The hardware firewall in your router/modem/access point, and a software firewall.  The software firewall is in your computer, and is either provided by your operating system (e.g., Windows Defender, Windows firewall) or by your AV program.  Normally, when you're installing an AV program it will ask if you want to use its firewall, and if you say yes, it will disable the Windows firewall and put its own in place.  Check to be sure you don't have BOTH Windows and an AV firewall running; having two will just slow things down and make things more complicated without improving your security.

Both your router's firewall and your computer's software firewall (Windows' or your AV program) should be configured to allow SL.  Here's an article on that.  If it's too technical, enlist the help of a local nerd.  https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/using-second-life-with-a-firewall-r599/

What's your system information?
You can get this from the login screen - go to Help -> About Second Life (About Viewer name if using a TPV).
Click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

There is currently a problem with certain Window 10 systems with Integrated Intel graphics (mostly Intel HD 620 & 630). SL viewers running on affected systems freeze during the "Loading world..." stage of login or shortly after login.
This problem appears to have started with a recent Windows update.

• Like 3

you may be right; those are the symptoms

system info below:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz (3000 MHz)
Memory: 8052 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 24.20.100.6344
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0 - Build 24.20.100.6344

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.