FPS drop after present in a sim for 15 minutes

Nor Vought

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i'm having an odd FPS drop from 40-50 to 7-2 after 15 minutes of residing in a sim with either structures and myself in view or other avatars and myself in view. i say this is odd because i can cam on a group of avatars up to 15-20 with myself in view for the first 15 minutes or stride around a prim/sculpt heavy sim like insilico for 15 minutes before this bug starts. now during this FPS drop if i cam away from myself and only have the scenery/ avatars in view, my frames go back up to 40-50 or if i have only myself in view and just a blank wall behind me or primless/ low prim count area, my frames are still fine. i can temporary fix this problem by simply relogging but i doubt anyone wants to relog every 15 minutes to fix an FPS drop.

p.s. i have cleared my cache serveral times i've done 3 fresh reinstalls of phoenix and singularity aswell as the 2.0 viewer but the problem persists. not sure how to attach a dxdiag....but im running a GTX 460 graphics card, i have 6g's of RAM, 137g's left of memory, and i run win7 64bit

Hey, Nor. I am by no means an expert on fps or technical issues, but I will offer the first thought that came to mind reading your post. Is it something you are wearing? How bout putting on something really low in rendering cost, like a nice simple shirt and pants, avoid lots of prims and script heavy items, this includes your hair and shoes as well. If you can pull off the look or don't care, go without. Put on a really nice simple outfit and see if you notice a difference. Do you know how to check your Arc? Get this in the green and see if it helps, if not, at least you have eliminated one probable cause.

assuming this only happen on your home region I'm betting that something in the scene isn't rezzing immediately, and when it does it's giving your vid card a fit.... if this is the case, turn on highlight transparent and see if you can't spot the likely culprit (ctrl+alt+t if the advanced menu is open)

do you have a small cache size and large draw distance set? seems a little fast and consistent for a memory leak (well for one they haven't caught yet)

also try turning off all media/sound to see if one of those may be the culprit.

I'm trying to reply to the OP, but for some reason, when I click Reply on the top of the page, I end up replying to Void's post. Wierd....

Anyway. I'm thinking along the lines Void does. This sounds like some sort of memory thing happening. What happens when you tp to somewhere else, and back again after a short while; do you get another 15 minutes at normal fps?

Also, have a look at the numbers in the performance panel - the part that shows texture memory usage - to see if something caches your attention. (GL mem and Bound memory seems to be high when this sort of thing happens to me.)

- Luc -

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.