My Avatar's Bits and Pieces Are Scattered

Never Torvalar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all!

I've been having this problem for two weeks now.

It's mainly centered around my avatar. Various pieces of me float about, moving with me but a meter or so removed. The textures aren't grey; it appears as if they'd be fine, if they were all connected to me. Sorry, I don't know many technical terms.

Here's what I've tried to solve the problem. I've tried all these things more than once, and although some bits might be restored, others fly off just as fast.

1) Clean viewer installs.

2) Using various viewers (the stock Linden viewer and Firestorm).

3) Creating a new Windows user and doing a clean install from there.

4) Running a memory test (it came back clean).

5) The problem only occurs on one Windows PC, but it's the only PC I can use during the day. At home, I'm fine, no problems whatsoever. So the shoes, for instance, aren't messed up until I try to wear them on this machine.

6) I've tried removing all HUDS. No joy.

7) I've tried refreshing attachments, reverting to the default female avatar and re-dressing from scratch. Fails.

8) Sometimes, I see weird tie-dye color effects on walls and so forth in addition to my avatar issues. These come and go at random, but mainly it's my avatar that's messed up.

9) The default AV isn't affected.

10) I've tried cursing, black magic, and the sacrifice of Snickers bars.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just don't know what else to try.

borked_001.png

I would say, it is the content delivery server - nothing to do with you or your system, setup or viewers - but slow delivery of textures and parts. I experienced the same especial here in the busy weekend at different places, where you see body parts of one self and others floating around like on your picture.

You should get normal look rather quickly though.

You will experience the same, if you have high ping time, bad internet connection, try and check your connection - but as I wrote, I suspect, it is LL servers causing it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Never Torvalar said:

5) The problem only occurs on one Windows PC, but it's the only PC I can use during the day. At home, I'm fine, no problems whatsoever. So the shoes, for instance, aren't messed up until I try to wear them on this machine.

Is the problem computer on a different network from your home computer?

Can you do a Speedtest on the problem connection?
Do you know what antivirus software/Firewall is installed on the problem computer?

1 hour ago, Never Torvalar said:

? Sometimes, I see weird tie-dye color effects on walls and so forth in addition to my avatar issues.

That could indicate pipelining is blowing up. Certain antivirus/Firewall software can cause that to happen really badly.
Unhappy pipelining will also affect the downloading of mesh data.

Try this on the problem computer & see if it helps:
Activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar of the viewer with CTRL+ALT+D.
Advanced -> Show debug settings -> HttpPipelining -> Set that to FALSE.
Clear the viewer cache to clean out the corrupted textures - they will be corrupted in your cache too.  You only need to clean cache once after disabling pipelining.
Remember mesh/textures from frequently visited places etc will be slower to load initially because they are no longer cached.

If disabling pipelining does not help at all, set HttpPipelining back to TRUE again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.