Problem with multiple UV mapped mesh. Help please?

Sybil Hallison

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I created a mesh dress in Blender, I have unwrapped it on 2 UV maps, the "Dress" UV map and the "Shirt" UV map. I then sculpted it, baked the normal maps for each UV map and rigged it.

Because I only recently started using Blender for unwrapping ( I was using 3ds max up until now) I came across a problem. I couldn't make the 2 UV maps not overlap each other. After some googling I found out (???) that I cannot make parts of the mesh to appear only to one UV map. I had to choose the parts I wanted on each map and then weld the other parts (vertices) in a dot and move them out of my map. That didn't sound like a legit solution to my problem but I carried on to see how that goes. Inside Blender (Cycles) I defined my materials just fine with selecting which map I want for each material so I had accurate visual results.

When I tried to upload to SL I had the results below:

Snapshot_001.jpg.35963d930a28661385779f920bdee540.jpg

In the picture you can see 2 different uploads of the same dress. I am using 7 different materials.
In the left one, I had selected on Blender the "Dress" UV map so when I tried to apply on SL my normal map, it was like SL could only see the "Dress" UV map (and the shirt part as a dot) and couldn't see the second UV map. Same with the textures. They were applied normally on all the dress parts but it was distorted to hell in the shirt part. I then tried to upload a copy with the "Shirt" UV map enabled on blender. The results are shown on the model on the right. The exact opposite effect.

I believe that I messed up with unwrapping multiple UV maps but I can't figure out how to solve it. Any help please?

Edited by Sybil Hallison

Isnt there a second channel of the UV map? so you can do a second map layout, I seem to remember reading that in here somewhere, and someone made a video showing how to use it for SL too, so each set is in the same object but like two layers, she was using blender too.

Thats an interesting dilemma, im sorry I cant be of any help.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

I found the answer I was looking for, after receiving an IM inworld!
As it seems you are right, you cannot have multiple UV maps on any mesh you upload on SL. So I had to merge my 2 UV maps in one, following the instructions on this video:

After that everything worked like a charm. I just baked the different materials on 2 different textures and I was done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.