Closed account or banned avatar?

FrankieRedhair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all,

Been reading quite a lot about this but am still confused. In a nutshell, I am worried about a SL friend who vanished a couple of months ago without any forewarning. He is currently invisible from "search" (in-world and web site).

His complete silence after being very active and his absence in "search"  would point to either this friend having closed his account (but it feels weird that he would not have emptied his profile or left a word behind before bailing out) or having been banned by LL. Is there any way at all to know? I have no way of contacting him outside SL. If banned or closed account, would that friend still receive e-mail notifications for IMs sent to him in world (if he had enabled that feature beforehand)?

Strangely, I can still see his name in my "friends" list. Also, that friend managed a group, and I still see his name in the "founded by" mast of that Group's profile. When I click on his name from there, I then see my friend's profile, identical to the profile revealed by my friends list and apparently identical to last time I had looked at it a couple of months ago.  But I cannot see his name when I look in-world at the member list of that Group or of any other group still listed on his profile.  Is this inconsistency normal?

If ever he was banned for bad TOS violations, could any  intimacy with him have consequences on his  friends down the line? More precisely, could his private IM conversation log be used to investigate not only his own actions, but also the thoughts, words and passed actions of his friends?

On a related topic:  do profiles ever disappear entirely and do the "calling cards" we have in our inventory ever vanish from inventory ? Can the avatar name of a banned or closed account ever be re-used by someone else further down the line?

Finally, does anything prevent the user of a banned avatar from immediately creating an alt and get back into SL? 

3 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, FrankieRedhair said:

He is currently invisible from "search" (in-world and web site).

Missing from isn't an indication. Discount that one.

Is there any way at all to know?

When someone is banned, or if they delete their account their my.secondlife.com page is no longer visible, and displays...

5e2dfe21177cdcc998b93a44f1eaeedf.png.a721fb9a47028c152b8c4c731c6d78d7.png

This way seems to be 100% accurate.

access with my.secondlife.com/first.last if they have a last name and just my.secondlife.com/first if they are newer avatar without a lastname.

Note: This is not proof someone is banned, self deletion shows the same thing.

Strangely, I can still see his name in my "friends" list. 

That is normal. People who self-delete or are banned remain in other's friend's lists.

If ever he was banned for bad TOS violations, could any  intimacy with him have consequences on his  friends down the line? More precisely, could his private IM conversation log be used to investigate not only his own actions, but also the thoughts, words and passed actions of his friends?

A Linden (I am pretty sure he said it last year), has said that for investigations where they invesitgate logs

* Only a few Lindens have the rights
  * They strictly stick to the portions reported, they don't trawl them to find other people at different times
  * That the logs can be very disturbing and upsetting

Please be aware that for the biggest breaches of TOS the poor governance people will need eye-bleaching and counselling and support. They want to be in and out fast without the horrors of those things and not be there looking at all the sexual encounters of the person being looked at.

They seem to be very specific.

Can the avatar name of a banned or closed account ever be re-used by someone else further down the line?

A banned avatar is effectively executed. They will *never* return. A self-deleted avatar can be undeleted. In fact, I am a self-deleted avatar who undeleted himself.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Missing from isn't an indication. Discount that one.

When someone is banned, or if they delete their account their my.secondlife.com page is no longer visible, and displays...

5e2dfe21177cdcc998b93a44f1eaeedf.png.a721fb9a47028c152b8c4c731c6d78d7.png

This way seems to be 100% accurate.

access with my.secondlife.com/first.last if they have a last name and just my.secondlife.com/first if they are newer avatar without a lastname.

Note: This is not proof someone is banned, self deletion shows the same thing.

Thanks Callum for taking the time to answer. I did check on my.secondlife.com, and got the display as you describe above. Guess I will probably never know what happened.

2 hours ago, FrankieRedhair said:

Thanks Callum for taking the time to answer. I did check on my.secondlife.com, and got the display as you describe above. Guess I will probably never know what happened.

This is a sad fact of SLife.  People leave the platform all the time, and most of the time we don't know if they simply left, or died in RL, or were banned by LL.  Just as in RL, we all have to learn to deal with loss, and with not knowing.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.