Too Many Prims?

JackRipper666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

Does anyone know when building HUD's if too many prims or even sculpty shapes on a HUD can cause lag? I have a simple HUD that uses llSetPos and at times when teleporting to different sims the HUD will stick and I have to detach it. Log off first since it won't detach till I do then log back on and finally it's detached and I can reattach and get it to work again when I click a Hide/Show Button. I'm still puzzled by this as to why it does this. It has a lot of prim objected attached to parent prim but other than that it's only a couple scripts I have in the HUD. I even tried using llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast to see if i get a different result. At first it seemed to fix things then it went back to same ole getting stuck when teleporting. It's kinda of random doesn't just happen every time but at random times.

Edited by JackRipper666

It sounds like the HUD is getting "ghosted" on teleport.
By ghosted I mean that the viewer still thinks the HUD is attached, so you still see it on your screen, but the region thinks the HUD is detached & therefore the scripts will not run in it.
Also when an attachment is ghosted in this way, you cannot detach it.
When you tell the viewer to detach the HUD, the viewer sends the detach request to the region, the region replies back saying that the HUD is not attached therefore it cannot be detached  and the detach request fails.

If you happen to be using Firestorm, then in the top menu bar, go to Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Refresh attachments.
This should fix a ghosted attachment to save you from relogging.

This problem with attachments getting ghosted on teleport (or any region change) has a much greater chance of happening if the attachment shares an attachment point with another attachment.
So try putting the HUD on it's own HUD attachment point with nothing else attached to the same point & see if that helps.

• Like 1

Its best to use the fewest scripts, fewest inventory items, fewest links, fewest unique mesh assets possible.

The more scripts, inventory items and links, the longer it takes to bundle and unbundle between region teleports.

The more scripts, the more script timing you consume in the region you enter.

The more unique mesh links you wear, the more you lag the region when this data is cached by the region you enter. See BUG-8946.

• Like 1

Thanks All, so far I think it is the ghosting problem.  If I use the refresh avatar attachments that get's it working again so thanks for that. I'm just still puzzled on how to fix it from doing that lol. I attached it to different attachment points as well. Everything on different attachment points.

Hm..alright maybe the attachment point thing did work. I did have one other item that I didn't realize on same attachment point as this HUD. I'll keep going with this for awhile seeing if it sticks at all.

Edited by JackRipper666
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.