3ds Max made mesh cloth become distorted after wearing. How to fix this?

Yasojith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, I'm using 3ds max and learning to make cloths for SL. 

I skinned  a TankTop for one of Bento Mesh avatar and it looks as this in 3d max.

10.thumb.jpg.efa1bd66d3fd8067848157db5bf97dbd.jpg

Once Uploaded it to the Test grid and wear, it becoming distorted as following.

2.thumb.jpg.c6c44852e63664cbd9faaa3117c80d82.jpg

Even though after wearing the tanktop, seems distorted, when it rezed on the ground, it looks perfect as following.

9.thumb.jpg.c46d9618c68e2b902b96dc3605ecbc31.jpg

I tried different "dae" export settings but non of those worked. For example uncheking "deformation" (thought it caused the distortion) at the export dialog box, would cause "Error: Dae Parsing Issue" at the SL Upload window. Following are the dae export settings I use for export.

4.thumb.jpg.80fa5a8e5d85fdbfb6985ea1239c1c96.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.b82a8f0957295d887c4952d12cf29200.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.a7d4a46d39e580dd472f1a05b724b2a4.jpg

I thought the skinning process did not happen properly, so I just uploaded that mesh avatar to the test grid to see how it looks. But it also seems as distorted too. Following is how it looks.

3.thumb.jpg.ff2539b1d016995660487f222add5a80.jpg

I highly appreciate and grateful if someone could guide me how to fix this issue. Thank you for checking out this.

That avatar you got comes from Blender most likely. I can tell from its orientation, which is wrong for SL. Blender Avastar does some trickeries to make the necessary adaptation upon export and still have something that doesn't break Blender's internal assumptions to work smoothly.

Basically, that avatar is facing the negative Y axis. The SL avatar MUST, instead, be facing +X. My suggestion is to export the weights from the mesh body, delete the skinning, rotate everything and freeze the transformations on the bones, paying attention to NOT freeze the transformations of the collision volume bones. When done, reattach the skin anew and reimport the weights from before. Then it should work properly.

EDIT: also, i just noticed the setting in the export window for the up axis. You got Y axis up, set that to Z axis up to avoid a file with further grouping for rotation compensation in the fbx file.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.