Novice Linux user in deep water

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK... I got KSOD on windows Vista, left field unexplained, I didnt have sticky keys enabled, and I didnt have task manager short cuts via them, thus, just about every trick in the books to fix the damned thing, short of forking out dosh I dont have on Windows 7, is a non option to me.. then I recalled something similar happening on the my fiance's lap top with XP, and her using Linux Ubuntu to partion and install a new OS, which allowed her to access the faulty things in her XP OS... except hers wasnt anything close to as dead as mine... I dont even know where to begin now I can seemingly access my HD.. and Windows OS files.. to enable the things I need to enable to try all the common fixes for the KSOD, if you have preloaded OS, not master disc.. SO.. I figure, hey, why not just use this Ubunut.. seems OK.. whatever it is... but I grabbed Phoenix for Linux.. and now.. I cant make it work.. theres no installation, theres no desk top icon, theres nada.. its pathetic, really.. so anyone at all out there now how to launch any sl client, prefferably Phoenix, because thats what I have (1.10 or something).. and can explain it in an idiot proof manner to some so far from computer savy that it would make most geeks eyes bleed and their faces melt off as their children weep over their exploded bodies.. it would be hugely appreciated.

Useful... though not quite what I was hoping for, maybe some one with a little bit less misguided mysanthropy can field this one.. you obviously had too much sugar on you weetbix, you muppet. If you cant help, dont help, if you dont want to help, dont tell me about it, go stunt the growth of some tree with your problems and bile, if you cant afford a therapist. Troll.

Anyway... look, whoever might be able to help... all I want is how I make the Phoenix business, appearn, in Linux Ubuntu, as desk top Icon I can click, and run SL.. just like with normal OS's, I know linux is all commands and what not.. but Skype pretty much self installed... surely theres a very simple easy way to make an SL client work with this system

Hey Golden Oh! Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux! I myself am a novice too but have been using the Ubuntu distro for a few months now and loving it!

Installing an SL viewer and any other app for that matter is much easier than doing it on windows once somebody has taken the time to explain it to you how easy it is.

1. Extract the tar ball to your home folder

2. Open the folder

3. Double-click the second life wrapper (in phoenix is the file called "snowglobe")

and that's it! it will start. When you double click you get a popup, click run.

P.S. You can then make a menu to run this app much easier.

ETA: Note that to run SL you must have installed the proprietary drivers for your graphics card or SL will be very choppy and lag as hell.

Also note that at first if you find that you cannot play the radio streams in the viewer, to fix this follow the fix we helped another user with here http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/PROBLEM-WITH-AUDIO-MUSIC-STREAMING-IN-LINUX-UBUNTU/qaq-p/833043/comment-id/6137#M6137

Ahh thank you so much Darren... I dont know anything about Linux.. but hoped to rescue my Visat using it.. but look like for a while at least.. until I can log into SL see if a few PC savy friends are online, I cant even do that. Now.. I did click on the snow globe, to run SL, in Phoenix, but nothing at all happens. As for Proprietary drivers..it tells me theres not enough room on the HD.. even though theres virtually nothing on the HD at all.. not in the section allocated to Ubuntu, and there was something like 100 Gig free space on the HD when I placed Ubuntu on it..., you say choppy.. how choppy? Also, what else, asside from what comes with Ubuntu 10.10 might I need to make Phoenix run?

Did you go through the disk allocation procedure when you intalled Ubuntu to give it its own disk partition? In my experience SL runs great as long as you have the propretiary drivers installed, when you don't you might get very low fps (sometimes).

As for the app not doing anything at all, I had the same problem wih installing phoenix. What fixed it for me was to install the LL official viewer V2 first and run that once. Then the Phoenix started working.

As for making a shortcut here is what I did. Open a terminal and type "alacarte" (without the ") this opens your menu editor.

You will see the following. Click New item.

Screenshot-Main Menu.png

Now you will get the following. Type select Application. Name type in Phoenix or whatever you want. Command, use the Browse to browse to that "snowglobe" file. Youe can click the litte Icon on the left and browse to the Phoenix Icon on the install folder. And then click ok, now you have a menu launcher in your main menu.

Screenshot-Create Launcher.png

ETA: You can then right click on the launcher on the main menu and select "add to panel" to make it even easier to access, if you want to of course.

I dont know what I did.. I booted it from a disc, and installed it.. I had to change somethig blue menu wise in the guts of my computer to make the DVD be the deffault firt load, then change it back once it loaded the Linux, then I installed Linux. it asked me something I did'nt really understand.. I just said yes.. but it should have had at least 50 gig to play with.. its using only 3? I am sure I can undo it, and make it bigger, right? I will, since from I have ready between this and your last post, by all accounts, with the right drivers, SL runs ALOT better on the Ubuntu than vista.. as for the short cuts.. I dont know what that thing you asked me to open is.. I dont really know PC's at all.. I just know I have the black screen death thhing.. and can access, some of the things on my HD with Ubuntu, so might be able to get some help in accessing whats gone nuts with vista after a system restore.. so, if I am bt slow on your help, doesnt mean I dont appreciate it.. just mean I have jumped in the deep end with ubuntu, in the hopes of saving my only PC, and keeping my SL business up and running.

The V2. trick hasnt gotten Phoenix to work.. but it itself DID work.. even though it said I had insufficient system capacity or something.. didnt meet the minimum requirements... though my mahcine most certainly does.. and in Vista ran SL very smoothly in mdedium graphics, with some feature such as avatar details and objects bumped to max... not sure why that is, the system should handle SL just peachy.. maybe the proprietary drivers thing.. will try to make something of a bigger HD partition thingy for this OS.. but .. in the man time.. is there something I might be missing which would prevent Phoenix from running? Its the right one for this OS, but even after being in SL breifly.. greyly.. in V.2.. it just wont load.

The terminal can be found in the Accessories menu. It will be a command line window like this:

Screenshot-geo@geo: -.png

As for the Phoenix. Try the following, browse to the LL viewer folder and open the "Lib" folder, and copy the contents. Then Browse to the the Phoenix folder to the same "Lib" folder and paste the contents onto it. Don't replace any files that it tells you are already found, this will make only the missing lib files to be copied onto that phoenix folder. Run Phoenix again and problem solved.

As for the disk space. When you installed Ubuntu it gave you the option to select how much disk space to use for ubuntu. I really don't know how to add more space once you already have installed it, this might be a question better answered in the Ubuntu forums. You will get better help there, the people on those forums are very helpful and friendly. Asking for more technical questions in this forum will only get you not so helpful responses because you have to remember that Linux users tend to be geeks and wannabe geeks and for some reason they suffer from some sort of superiority complex.

OK... maybe someone can tell me now why SL V.2 is saying my system isnt the required.. required is something like PIII, 1.5 Ghz, 1 gig ram, nvidia 6 series, 32 bit Linux, etc etc...

I have Pentium Dual Core E2200,2.2Ghz, 2GB Ram, Nividia 8 series card, just downlaoded drivers for it for Linux.. running latest Ubuntu, and have crap loads of space because I just destoryed my black screened Vista OS and partition.

Why is telling me SL cant run. and all grey and laggy and crap.. skype, all other web browsing .. even faster than vista... what am I missing here?

I am a Linux novice too, only been using it for a couple of months. I was as frustrated with it as you at first, but you will get the hang of it. Google is your friend and when all else fails I found the guys in the Ubuntu forums to be very helpful and friendly. When you are used to Windows click and click and be done with all it is difficult to get used to something entirely different and not so out-of-the-box. However once you play with it for some time you will find that Linux and the Ubuntu distro in particular to very user friendly and easier, faster, and more fun than Windows.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.