replace uuid "A" with uuid "b" or blankness

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello again, getting a lot done on the sim this week script wise .. was wondering if we can drop a script into a link set, the scripts looks for a specified uuid and then either replaces it with a new specified uuid OR just simply make it the default blank white texture .. this is used for cleaning up sloppy builds where the creator has used 1024 textures on everything even unseen faces .. you have replaced visible faces with 512 textures but as you may well know if you miss even one of the 1024 versions of en image yout gpu still renders it and thus makes the new 512 version you uploaded a pointless.. in fact even adding to the number of "different" textures you have to load in.. mainly this will be useful for updating prim builded with hand painted textures that look baked, and then this script would be used to remove any leftover s of the old oversized evenly lit non shadowed textures that will lerk where the walls and floors meet.. yes i realise i can cam into the prims but i have ALOT on my plate and anything to speed up some of the remedale work is greatly appreciated 

hmm lets try it more "nicely" this time.. please keep comments to the point of this tread in search of a solution 

Your title is a little vague, it should say "replace a texture with another."

But that said, it can't be done because scripts can't get the UUID of a texture unless it is full perm. See:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetTexture
"NULL_KEY is returned when the owner does not have full permissions to the object and the texture is not in the prim's inventory."

53 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Your title is a little vague, it should say "replace a texture with another."

But that said, it can't be done because scripts can't get the UUID of a texture unless it is full perm. See:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetTexture
"NULL_KEY is returned when the owner does not have full permissions to the object and the texture is not in the prim's inventory."

how about via texture name?

Yeah that permissions thing is on purpose. Otherwise anyone could steal your texture uuid and use it without your, well, permission, you know? xD

I wouldn't consider it an issue unless you assume it's okay to use people's stuff without their permission.

Naturally, we all know you have only the best of intentions in your adventures in scripting. But yeah, there's a lot of those annoying little limitations you're going to encounter, due to persons who totally are nothing like yourself doing the unthinkable and actually abusing any function that doesn't have some sort of restrictive parameters.

You could always try to create a script that opens their non-fullperm texture in a viewing window, then takes a screenshot, crops it in GIMP, resizes it to a higher resolution, and uploads it for you, but that stupid upload thing has issues with requiring the payment of inworld currency for the privilege of doing that... And then ignorant persons would simply assume you stole the texture anyway, rather than coming by it legitimately, via scripting.

Hmmmm... I swear, if I can find a workaround for this, I will. Once all that permissions bulldoody is bypassed, you can use a script that ignores DMCA complaint emails, too. I think I saw one for free on the MP, it was 600L$ before, but someone copied it and gives it out free now, so others can resell it for 25L$.

However, at the risk of going off-topic, I think that for now the wiki might be your best bet.

Edited by Berksey
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.