ZachCameron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

My laptop recently had several updates and now I'm having issues logging into Firestorm. I keep getting the error

'We are unable to decode the file storing your credentials.  At this point saving or deleting your credentials will erase all those previously stored.  This may happen when you change your network setup.  Restarting the viewer with the previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials'

The problem is.. I have several alts and each have different passwords, so it's a nightmare to log into each one. I've followed the Firestorm help and have deleted everything related to firestorm done a complete new install and I'm still having the same issues.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance,

Zach

5 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, ZachCameron said:

Hi,

My laptop recently had several updates and now I'm having issues logging into Firestorm. I keep getting the error

'We are unable to decode the file storing your credentials.  At this point saving or deleting your credentials will erase all those previously stored.  This may happen when you change your network setup.  Restarting the viewer with the previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials'

The problem is.. I have several alts and each have different passwords, so it's a nightmare to log into each one. I've followed the Firestorm help and have deleted everything related to firestorm done a complete new install and I'm still having the same issues.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance,

Zach

Happend to me when I switched my WiFi connector. Good thing is: it comes back when you switch back to the original setup and also does not kill your logs =^.^= just reenter the passwords and hope your network setup won't change again any time soon ;)

Edited by Fionalein

57 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Happend to me when I switched my WiFi connector. Good thing is: it comes back when you switch back to the original setup and also does not kill your logs =^.^= just reenter the passwords and hope your network setup won't change again any time soon ;)

I changed my broadband provider about 6 months ago.. and as far as I'm aware, I haven't changed any of my network info on my Firestorm :( Could you give me a hint on what it's supposed to be?

This often happens when Windows installs an update, or when you re-install the viewer.  There is no "fix" for it, you just have to log in manually.  Enter your username and your password.

If you don't know your login credentials, you may be able to find them.  If you've logged your account in to this website, your web browser has saved the credentials.  Do a Google search to find how to access that information for your particular browser.

If that does not help, you'll have to file a support ticket with Linden Lab.  They may ask you to provide proof of your identity, such as a scanned birth certificate or drivers license.

In the future:

• NEVER rely on the "remember my user name and password" function...not in the SL viewer, or on any web site.
  • ALWAYS store your login information, for SL and for any website, in a secure location.  With all the passwords we have these days, you may want to look into a password manager application.  I use one called "Dashlane".
  • For security purposes, it's a very bad idea to even USE the "remember my password" function in the viewer.  Anyone who has access to your computer, either physically or remotely, could log in with your SL account and take your money, or get you in trouble in other ways.  Enter your password manually, every time you log in.  This will also have the happy result that it will be easier to remember your password!
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.