Loading Shared Media using llSetPrimMediaParams loads page multiple times - bug?

Ruuh Cassini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any solutions to a problem I have been facing. I am using llSetPrimMediaParams to load a php web page. The problem is, it seems the page is loaded 2 or 3 times. This doesn't matter for most pages, but for the specific page I am loading it does matter. How do I make the prim load the page once, and only once? (Btw I am not executing the llSetPrimMediaParams line more than once). Your help is much appreciated. :) - Ruuh

the extra loads could be coming from other viewers in the area, but since you say 2-3, I'm going to guess that it's this bug I filed in jira....

every time the object is edited, or it's contents change in any way, the viewer pulls one refresh for the edit control, and another for the viewer.

the only solution is not to use edit on the object with media. if you just need to modify or view the contents, "open" will work, but only for the root prim. that's the bad news... the good news is that it stops doing that when it's not being edited.

Thanks for replying.

I am aware of the second load when in edit mode, because on pages that have audio, I hear it twice if in edit mode (once on prim, and once in "edit"). However, my situation is not in edit.

I simply have llSetPrimMediaParams in state_entry() event, declared once. The php code on the webpage adds a new record to a database everytime the page is run. That code is not in any kind of loop, yet I always find two records instead of one.  The code also does other stuff, but I find two attempts at the other stuff, but often only half of the other stuff gets done for the first of the two attempts, which indicates that the page is being reloaded.

I don't think there is a problem on server, because if i load page from external browser I don't get this problem.

well if you aren't editing the prim, my fallback guesses would be viewers in the area (if autoplay is on), or something funky in the code (a script reset perhaps?) .

I'm not sure of a good way to troubleshoot it, since the requests are going direct to your server and the media address shouldn't be changing.

is it possible that it's being hit once for the set, and once for your viewer?... try a timer to set it, TP out and see if the page stil gets pulled while you are away (obviously in an area that's empty)

Just to give some context:

I have two skyboxes located 100m apart from each other. Each skybox contains a shared media prim, which shows half the information needed to do something inworld. So when 2 players go to the respective skyboxes, the shared media prims load the page, and each player sees half the solution.  They then have to work together to figure out the answer, and then they have to click on a prim (out of a number of possible prims) inworld, resulting in various forms of feedback depending on if the correct prim was clicked or not.  It's kind of like a multiple choice test, but where players need to get clues from a webpage, and then work together to provide the answer.

Anyway, I was testing with my main account and an alt account.  Further to your suggestion, I reduced my draw distance to be less than 128m, and this has resulted in each page being loaded only twice, instead of 4 times (as was the case before).  This confirms that the presence of another avatar with large draw distance caused the page to reload because of him.  In any case, the current situation is of course better, but it is STILL loading twice in quick succession from the same llSetPrimMediaParams, for no apparent reason.

I guess I will just have to live with it.  Many thanks for trying anyway :)

for what it's worth, I'm not seeing the same thing in my own experiments... but I've heavily tweaked my viewer settings so I may have turned off whatever is causing it for you.

on my own I've been doing a minimal [set home, set current]  with auto play enabled on the viewer, and manually on the prim, auto play and auto re-size enabled on the media face (for some reason the control sets keep going back to full, even though I have the bar set to mini, and the everyone permission set to no bar).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi! Everbody! I am now using the function llSetPrimMediaParams to show web page on a HUD object texture. I have used different viewers to check the web page.I have checked those viewers Second Life viewer , Phoenix viewer , Phoenix Firestorm viewer , Catnzip viewer , Singularity viewer .Second Life viewer can show web page properly. Phoenix viewer and Singularity viewer can not show web page . Phoenix Firestorm viewer and Catnzip viewer can not show web page directly , but can show web page properly after the user left clicks the HUD web page or clicks the button "Reload".

Do you know why?

Hi! Everbody! I am now using the function llSetPrimMediaParams to show web page on a HUD object texture. I have used different viewers to check the web page.I have checked those viewers Second Life viewer , Phoenix viewer , Phoenix Firestorm viewer , Catnzip viewer , Singularity viewer .Second Life viewer can show web page properly. Phoenix viewer and Singularity viewer can not show web page . Phoenix Firestorm viewer and Catnzip viewer can not show web page directly , but can show web page properly after the user left clicks the HUD web page or clicks the button "Reload".

Do you know why?

Let me cut/paste my answer to the duplicate question you asked in the Answer forum:

Yes, Media On A Prim (MOAP) is an advanced function that will not work on older-style  viewers that use the V1 codebase. Phoenix and Singularity are V1 codebase viewers.  Firestorm and Linden Lab's own V3 viewer are V3, so you should expect MOAP to work properly on them.  If you have just come within draw distance of the prim, any of the MOAP-capable viewers will expect you to left-click on the active prim face before the page is displayed.  That is normal, expected behavior.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.