Necks....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all you luverly peoples,

A curious question here...i have been looking over the templates for the shapes/skin/clothing etc but im stuck..where would you work on something say a tattoo or a birth mark on the neck...i cannot seem to work out where the neck would start or end on the head and body templates :(

Any advice would be awesome

Thanks

Debbi x

I hope you have Chip Midnight's templates, because they have much better guides on them to your problem.  He has seam matching guides on his head, upper, and lower templates.  In the case of the neck, the head's neck seam is N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5.  It's going to be a struggle in some areas because of the elongation of the UV map in the neck.  It will also be a struggle because if you cross the head to body seam, the resolution changes radically.  You have more pixels on the head template at the neckline than you do on the body template.  

Govindira Galatea wrote:

I hope you have Chip Midnight's templates, because they have much better guides on them to your problem.  He has seam matching guides on his head, upper, and lower templates.  In the case of the neck, the head's neck seam is N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5.  It's going to be a struggle in some areas because of the elongation of the UV map in the neck.  It will also be a struggle because if you cross the head to body seam, the resolution changes radically.  You have more pixels on the head template at the neckline than you do on the body template.  

thanks Govindira, yeah i have Chip Midnight's and Robin Woods templates, I'm still after a long time of designing tattoo's trying to figure out who's templates i prefer guess you could say spoilt for choice lol

I'll have a look and see how i can get on with Chip Midnight's templates for the neck area then.

thankyou once again :)

Debbi x

You can get either or both of two resolution levels of Chip's templates from this wiki page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials  Remember, whichever of his (or anyone's templates) you use, Second Life makes the three avatar templates to be 512 x 512 files with alpha channels.  Work at the higher resolutions to get a nice effect, then use your graphics software to reduce the image size to 512 x 512 as the copy of your original work that you'll upload to the system.  The simplest way to view such things for free is to go to the beta servers--I forget their names--and log in there.  Any money you spend in beta is not debited from your main grid account under the same avatar name.

Or just use the Phoenix or Imprudence viewer, either one of which gives you the option of doing free (L$0) temporary uploads so you can still work on the main grid.  They stay alive until the next time you clear cache. 

If you're trying to figure out where the lines on various templates meet across seams, the easiet trick is to just upload all templates to SL and wear them as new clothing.  Take a zillion photos from all angles so that you see what all the seams look like and you can get a feel for which parts of the av body distort most severely as you move.  Those photos are invaluable if you are trying to work out a design in tricky areas like shoulder seams or the crotch, or if you are puzzling over how to slice up the foot to make an alpha mask that doesn't look like a third-grader did it with a pocket knife.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.