Cell Shading Help?

Akastiel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would any one be able to offer up info about how to make cell shading on items  in blender and get it into second life?

I'm still new to blender taking little steps but this is something id really like to learn, I'm looking for info on how to make something similar to this
 https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/RRD-BRDMRT-spooky-raptor-Cel-shading-V03/12914786

I have watched many videos about how to make cell shading in blender itself what Im more looking for is how to make a cell shaded item and move it from Blender to second life or what steps I would need to take, Thank you.

Hi.

I think the cell shading effect on this avatar is made by turning the mesh inside out (and mirroring).

To move your creation from Blender to SL,
you'll need to Export your object as .DAE  file to your computer,
then to Import it to SL by paying the Upload.

You can use the beta grid server (Aditi) to see if your mesh is good before to pay the upload cost on the main grid server (Agni).

Edited by marcov Carter

As Marcov has already suggested, you need to created an inflated shell around the original mesh and then Invert the Normals of this shell. The greater spacing between the shell surface and the original mesh objects surface the thicker the "cell shading " will appear.

The diffecult part in Blender is to create a shell that is evenly spaced around the original.

Scaling using Alt S (scaling along the normals) didn't give avery good results. Maybe i was doing it wrong. :)  I would suggest you use a Solidify modifier on a copy instead and set the  Offset value from the default negative 1.0 to positive 1.0. This when combined with the Thickness value will give you an evenly inflated mesh.

After that you will need to delete the inner faces of this shell.

If you don't have it already checked, you will need to enable Backface Culling before you start. With Backface Culling enabled you will see the faces of the inverted normals as they will look when the mesh is brought into SL.

5a1dc9dc705ef_Cella.png.c3df923555336ba732ae4c44adc59241.png

5a1dca5c7f0ea_Cell1.png.849e64df2246841a0797daced7e085d5.png

1: In Object mode make a copy of the original mesh. This copy will become the inflated shell around the original mesh object.

H  key = Hide

Alt  H  = Unhide

5a1dcafe88597_Cell2.thumb.png.36590c65a47ffae800e85d069b931af7.png

Invert normals option you will find in the Tools panel > Shading/UV's tab > Shading  > Normals > Flip Direction.    Or  W to open Specials menu and then choose the Flip Normals option.

5a1dcb638a432_Cell3.thumb.png.e44fbe10f9650e34a5ce0507683d484f.png

Unhide the Original mesh .......

5a1dcbc91a0b4_Cell4.thumb.png.b56951ae212f7d5bac46f2d687a6d0f3.png

In my example the edges don't look thick enough I should have have used a higher Thickness value in the Solidify modifier. :)

Just to add, I was using Cycles and the screenshots were taken with the 3D View Shading set to Material. To see the "shell shading" you will probably have to do the same.

edited to add:

Just in case you don't know already .......... In 3D graphics, polygons / faces / surfaces only have 1 side. The other side just does not exist (unless you deliberately add it ).

You can see this in Blender when you enable Backface  Culling.

Add a Sphere and in edit mode select all the faces then Flip the Normals.............

5a1ddaae65f6c_FlippedNormals.png.5623d189e3b3566d84acffcea959a471.png

Polygons / surfaces are exactly the same in SL. Its this one sidedness that you are trying to take advantage of when creating your "cell shading" .

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.